B&W DM601 S3 vs DM602 S3 vs DM602.5 S3

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello Folks :)

I may be moving into a larger house and may possibly require some larger speakers to fill the space with sound. I currently have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM 601 S3 stand mount speakers driven by a NAD C326 BEE amplifier ( I love this combination and don't want or need to change it sonically) apart from maybe needing to go bigger with the speakers for the previously mentioned reason of a bigger listening space.

I'd just like to know if anyone has experience with the DM 602 S3 standmount and the DM 602.5 S3 floor stander? I'll be looking at these secondhand as I want to retain the sonic character of what I already have but just want the added bass weight of these 2 larger models. Which of the two would be best in a large space? I like a weighty sound capable of colossal impact when required, yet retaining clarity and detail without being harsh and retaining refinement which is how the system performs now in my tiny 4 x 3 meter room.

I don't have room dimensions for the large room at the moment, but I'd like some opinions from anyone who may have experience with these models.

I listen to everything from Jazz, electronic dance, indie/britpop, rock, pop etc...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
IIRC, the 602.5s use the same size driver as your 601s and I think the review at the time said they were a bit bass light.

If you can find some 602s, they might be a better bet. Of course you could always look for some 603s for more low end.

Any reason you're deciding to stick with B&W's older 60X range? Perhaps some 684s might be worth demoing, funds permitting.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
If you're desperate to get some B&W 600s, I always thought that Series 2 was the least flawed/best sounding.

EDIT: I nearly forgot, avoid the .5 variation, they were a big mistake on B&W's part.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi M&G,
My 602/601S3s have been used in a 7.1 system until a recent house move. As such, the 602s were excellent and I often didn't bother turning on the sub. sounded great with Treme - New Orleans post Katrina - it contains a variety of jazz, acoustics and rock on its excellent soundtrack. Now my floor standers have moved to av fronts and the 602s are in a biggish bedroom fed by Meridian cd + pre/power plus SBT for internet radio. They acquit themselves very well to my ears. Front port helps placement in potentially boomy room.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies Guys!

Big Chris, I want to stick with the 600 series 3's because I'm very happy with the sound of my 601's and don't have any desire to change the sound. I just need to go bigger for a bigger room.

Going of what you've all said and also the little bit of research I've done it's looking like the 602.5 model is one to avoid. I'll keep a look out for some 602 S3's, I should probably wait until I actually move first and see what's what.

Thanks for the replies :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts