B&W CM9 vs 805S? Any thoughts?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys!
Ive been really enjoying my 805S for a while now and they have been amazing. I am looking to move into a larger room soon and was wondering about changing to a bigger speaker. I saw the new CM9s from bowers and was blown away by the gloss black finish. They look amazing. Im thinking of selling my 805S and buying them. Obviously i think i will take a bit of a hit in outright sound quality but will the CM9S give me a "bigger sound" with "bigger bass clout" and does anyone think that the tradeoff will be worth it. Im only thinking about it at the moment and it would be good to hear a few opinions. It might not happen as ive 'thought' about changing before but they are so good they always change my mind.
Peace out!

A

Anonymous

Hey Shaxos, long time no post!

I think your KW550 (still got it?) would go rather well with a nice pair of Spendor A6. Having said that, it'd control the CM9s rather well too. Be careful with such a trade though because the speed of the 805s will be a big sacrifice.

What about a pair of large bookshelf speakers like some of Harbeth's offerings? OK, many leagues away from the look of the CM9 but they sound good!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Now then Shaxos - going through similar dilema as we speak moving on from standmounts the profile 908s back to either floorstanders or another pair of standmounts if i can find some with the bass i require - just strating to look again and going to start off with listening to the ma gs20. gs60 and pl100 and then move on from there

are you thinking of trying anything else - i was a bit bothered by the review of the cm7s and probs associated with the midrange and hi frequency - personally this is where my speakers excel and i really don't want to sacrifice that so hopefully the cm9s don't have the same issues - haveyou heard them yet?

A

Anonymous

I don't know. The 805s has such great sound and speed I don't think you would be too happy with the 'downgrade'. You could think about adding a good sub to the mix.

By the way what stands are you using with the 805s's?

A

Anonymous

How did is this big room?

What about selling the amp and the speakers and getting something like ATC 50 active?

A

Anonymous

Hi, i bought a pair of cm9's a few weeks ago, upgraded from the 685s. What a difference! Probably much the same as the cm5 review, but better. It's a very detailed speaker. Why not give them an audition. Plus, they do look fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Have you seen the 703 going on ebay? I would keep the 805s and get a sub over the CMs, but whatever floats your boat.

A

Anonymous

I would also get a home demo, as the bass on the CM7 was OTT in one demo room, although sounded okay elsewhere.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies guys!

Hey iggle yeah im not on here as much now im happy (ier) with my system! Yeah ive still got the amp. I dont think ill be letting that one go anytime soon. Its too damn good! I could look at the A6 but i wouldnt go to harbeth as i really really dont like the look of them (superficial i know but important to me regardless).

So the reviews for the CM7 was not great? But what about the CM9s?

I could look at adding a PV1 sub but doesnt anyone think this will unbalance the sound? If i did i would probably buy second hand as i dont have that big a budget at the moment. This also makes it more difficult to demo with my speakers.

Cheers to all once again!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
FTAO Matenga...

I havent started demoing yet mate so i have no idea about how they sound. So you need more bass from the profiles? Have you tried the sub route? I personally did not like the monitor audio floor standers but the PL100 i heard was fantastic. I dont think it is worth the extra cash compared to my 805s mind but they are better finished. Good luck with your search and keep us posted!
Cheers!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
SHAXOS:FTAO Matenga...

I havent started demoing yet mate so i have no idea about how they sound. So you need more bass from the profiles? Have you tried the sub route? I personally did not like the monitor audio floor standers but the PL100 i heard was fantastic. I dont think it is worth the extra cash compared to my 805s mind but they are better finished. Good luck with your search and keep us posted!
Cheers!

yeah i bought a sub to add to the bottom end - i am actually really happy with the sound of the focals and sub - reason for a change is i bought the wrong speakers for my setup - since they are not biwireable i have a spare p35 amp lying around so choices are either sell that and stick with what i have or sell them and by something that allows me to put the other amp back in - also want to lose my hc front end and use the stereo amp to power the front two and buy a new cente - the focal centre is expensive and hard to source so thought this was best route

going to sell speakers, sub, turntable and then my front 3 home cinema speakers which should make a fairly big dent in whatever i buy next - or at least that the plan at moment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts