B&W CM8

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi I need some opinion. I currently have Wharfedale Evo2-30 running them through a Harman Kardon AVR660. I have been offered a very good deal on B&W CM8 and I want to know if anyone has experience with the 2 speakers or what you think about this upgrade.Is there a day and night difference between the 2 speakers?

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I am in South Africa so i will have to convert Rands to US dollars to give some good perspective but it looks something like this:

Its CM8 fronts and a CM centre trade in in piano gloss by a customer that had them for about a month as he upgraded to the 804s. Here in South Africa that front soundstage would be about $2500 US and I am getting them for about $1500 US. They are not even completely run in and not a single scratch

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Just from the price alone I would say that you can't lose. That fact that they have great reviews everywhere and from a very reputable company only makes the deal nicer. There would have to be some very serious negative aspects for this deal not to be in your favour.

Good luck. Let us know how it pans out.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Great speakers, particularly with vocals, acoustics, classical etc.

Don't look too bad either. I was tempted to get 804s (my brother has some) but the CM8s are a better fit for the size of room they are in. He was very impressed when he heard the CM8s.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yippee I went to pick them up. I got home and disconnected the Wharfedales I had to connect the CM8s. I am still using my Wharfedale evo2-8 as surrounds until later in the year when I move into a bigger placewhere I'll put B&W in-ceilings.

The first thing that came up was that this is a different kind of sound altogether. Very controlled bass with crisp midrange and highs. I started hearing the same songs differently to the way I used to before. i played killing me softly by Luther Vandross and all I can say is wow. One very interesting thing was the soundstage. It puts the vocals in the middle of the room and the instruments are so well separated.

I played Avatar and the first thing I noticed was the cleanliness of the centre(CM centre). The sound coming from the CM8 fronts sounded so different too( U can say its a placebo effect but its so far from it).

I've read forums and some people say B&Ws are so musical especially for jazzy kind of music and I can agree with that but I also enjoyed my Hip Hop a lot also. The one but I can say is that they are more for a matured audience(If there's such a thing) because they sound so different and subtle but clean compared to many speakers I've heard before including my Wharfedales. If you like loud and bright kind of sound you may not like them at all.

So far so good and I think they will become better after some serious running in.

Sliced Bread

I'm glad you like them :cheers:

I know what you mean, they have a great ability to throw the sound out and away from the speakers. The speakers almost completely disapear. I'd love to hear wwhat they are capable of at the end of some serious electronics (maybe one day) :rockout:

Sliced Bread

I have not actually heard the CMC2. I hear it is an improvement on the CMC as it is true 3 way and uses the FST driver. The end result is more bass weight and even more clarity.

But like I said, I have not heard it. I’m quite curious though!

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help and reassurance. I have been playing around with crossover settings from full range to 60Hz and Im finding 60hz to be ideal. I only battled a bit with the sub to set it's volume so that its not really audible in stereo mode and I think I finally got it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts