B&W CM1 other speakers worth a demo? Advice on stands

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to demo some B&W CM1's, any other speakers worth getting a demo? They must be in the same price group and they don't have to be stand speakers. The speakers will probably be powered by a Yamaha RX-A1020, will be used as my main music source. Plus be part of a 5.1 system as and when I get the middle and rear speakers. Was thinking on B&W M1's should I go for the CM1's.

If I should decide on the CM1's, what stands would you recommend? The B&W stands cost a massive £250, are they really worth it?

Thanks for reading

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
dukeden said:
I'm going to demo some B&W CM1's, any other speakers worth getting a demo? They must be in the same price group and they don't have to be stand speakers. The speakers will probably be powered by a Yamaha RX-A1020, will be used as my main music source. Plus be part of a 5.1 system as and when I get the middle and rear speakers. Was thinking on B&W M1's should I go for the CM1's.

If I should decide on the CM1's, what stands would you recommend? The B&W stands cost a massive £250, are they really worth it?

Thanks for reading
The B&W CM1'S are very good speakers, also the stands do make them sing sweetly. :)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi duke the cm1s are a high quality small speaker that sounds huge ... maybe not the last word in.detail although theres plenty there but tbey offer a smooth deep very high quality sound (go for gloss black if you can) as for stands i manged to get a pair of atacama nexus 6 thrown in but as.already.been suggested im sure the matchin stands wld be better but if not the nexus six are still good and you.l be saving yourself a few quid.... also when i auditioned and bought my cm1s i compared them to much larger and expensive floorstanders and thes little babies stood up to em for quality...you cld.do a.lot worse

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your advise, looking forward to the demo. I'll let you know how it goes. As for the speaker stands, perhaps the extra money for the B&W is worth it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Heard the CM1s the other day, they were OK better than the Rega RS1s which seemed very veiled the CM1s were a bit more open but they were a bit bassy, so don't use them close to walls, also they needed some driving to get them going, I would try some Kef R100s as well. Stands look overpriced to me. I would look at Fisual Dynami Speaker Stands or Atacama for around £50-£60.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned Cm1 need loads of space around them. I heard them in Sevenoaks against some 685 and rx1. The b&w's were miles behind the MA which although closer lost out to the cm1. Amp used was arcam a19. Anyway I bought the cm1, got them home and it went badly wrong as I didn't have as much space around the speakers as the demo room so they had to go back. If your struggling on placement, I have rega rs1 on wall wall brackets and they sound wonderful at times but they're are occasions when I miss the slam of my MA RS6. The rega's were bought as a stop gap, just waiting for something 2nd hand to pop up.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear.about.your.cm1 experience. i dont have that much room around mine and im using mine with the marantz cr603 which isnt what you wld call a hugely powerful system and they sound superb so please try not discount them til youve heard them against others

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I heard the RS1s and then the Cm1s, the RS1s seemed very closed in, veiled and the CM1s were more open, more detailed but needed more power and a bit boomy/bassy near to walls. Both were heard with Rega cd and amp with DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts