B&W 805 Nautilus w/ Pioneer SX-3700

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm excited to be a part of What Hi Fi community!

I just purchased a pair of used (but near mint condition) Bowers and Wilkins 805 nautilus speakers on eBay and they should be arriving within the next couple of days.

Some background information: I'm a college student (on somewhat of a budget unil summer) so it's hard to get really high quality, expensive products. Anyway, I managed to get these B&W's at a pretty good price ($1,500 shipped) and now I'm pretty broke. I currently have been using my dad's old Pioneer SX-3700 reciever, he purcchased it in 1979. It's in near perfect working condition (very well taken care of), no issues, damage, and everything works perfectly. I have a pair of Bose 161's and a Polk PSW505 currenly hooked up to it and they sound pretty solid (at least to my 'un-trained' ear).

After doing some research, I'm not sure if it's wise to hook up the B&W's to the SX-3700 as I don't want to damage the speakers that cost me over a months worth rent. I'd like to upgrade my reciever to a Onkyo TX-NR609 but won't have the money until at least next month. I also read that the B&W's should have at least a 50 watt reciever and the SX-3700 only has 45 watts.

What do you all think, should I wait until I upgrade my reciever?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

While your receiver might be a bit on the old side, I'll wager it'll sound better with the 805's than the 609 would. Neither are ideal really, but use the Pioneer, but be careful of the volume, as the 805's are fairly demanding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts