B&W 804S vs MONITOR AUDIO SILVER 8

Hello people.

I am new to this world.

I have a turntable (Project) and prephono tube box (Project) and i need to buy speakers and amplifier.

I need you to help me to take decision between this:

Monitor Audio Silver 8 (brand new speaker)

or

B&W 804 S (second hand.. 5 years old).

I have listened to both with the same amplifier (Cambridge Audio CAX80) and obviously the B&W sounds bettter, but i have to say the Silver 8 is pretty good.

Price of both speakers are very similar:

Silver 8: 1500 euros

B&W 804s: 1.700 euros

only problem is that i am scared to buy a second hand speaker, but actually looks like new.

Help!!!

Try and get a home demo of both if you can . those amps are definitely more towards what the b&w's need to shine,where are you based josep and what other products can you get access to,also it would be helpful to know about the size of the listening room,is it heavily furnished or of a more sparsely furnished nature and what type of flooring is in it also

where are the speakers going to be sited within the room and the type of music you listen to.PS..that seems like an awful lot of money for the monitor audio's.I used to own a pair from new and they cost £750 gbp and they just aren't in the same league as the b&w's,Don't worry about them being second hand,it sounds like they've been well looked after and will give years of music listening pleasure.

Try and get some soft furnishings into the area . large rug,some curtains etc can help the acoustics of a room like yours.but definitely try a home demo and look for more of a warm sounding amplifier,hopefully other forum members will be along with some helpful answers.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The 804S without hesitation.

I used to run PMC DB1i with a sub and I felt it easily outperformed the MAs. The Silver weren't bad by any means, but you can do better for the money.

Josep Fernández Marsal said:
Hello people.

I am new to this world.

I have a turntable (Project) and prephono tube box (Project) and i need to buy speakers and amplifier.

I need you to help me to take decision between this:

Monitor Audio Silver 8 (brand new speaker)

or

B&W 804 S (second hand.. 5 years old).

I have listened to both with the same amplifier (Cambridge Audio CAX80) and obviously the B&W sounds bettter, but i have to say the Silver 8 is pretty good.

Price of both speakers are very similar:

Silver 8: 1500 euros

B&W 804s: 1.700 euros

only problem is that i am scared to buy a second hand speaker, but actually looks like new.

Help!!!

A couple of questions, if you don't mind. There is madness in my method. *biggrin*

Firstly, what is your room acoustics like? Is it reflective (wooden floorboards, no curtains...) or is it well damped: Carpets, soft furnishings, bookcase etc etc?

Secondly, how far will the speakers be placed from the wall?

Thanks guys,

As i said, the room is quite big with high celing, marble floor, not many furniture, no curtains, but a lot of light :D

Speakers position against the wall.. not sure i understand your question. Should i separate them from the wall like 1 meter maybe?

i went to the shop again to do a test.

I brought my turntable ("Project 5.1 SE" with "Ortofon Samba MC") and my pre phone amplifier ("Project Tube Box II") and i tested with the Amplifier Cambridge Audio 851A + speakers B&W 804S

I realized one thing.. that the CD player sounds better. I had with me 2 albums both in Vinyl and CD format to compare, and CD wins:

Suede "Dog Man Star"

Massive Attack "Heligoland"

It is not that my turntable is bad... i am not big expert.. but with that cartridge and the tube box, i think should be good enough...

Anyway.... i finally bought the speakers and amplifier. I have my turntable connected at home and i am happy... that is the important :)

I am not entirely satisfied with my setup. Maybe cause the room is too big but i only really enjoy listening to this system when playing very loud.

As most of you already told me the Integrated Amp Cambridge Audio 851A is only 120W, so maybe not enough for the B&W 804S that many people tend to say need at least a 150W amp.

Options (i need your advice here):

- i sell my 851A and i buy the new integrated amp Rotel RA1592 (200W).

- bi-amp the 851A (120W) with the Cambridge Audio 851W (200W). the A for high frequency and hte W for low frequency.

- bi-amp the 851A (120W) with the Cambridge AUdio 651W (100W). The A for low frequency and the 651W for high frequency.

- bi-amp the 851A (120W) with Marantz Power Amp MM7025 (140W). The A as high frequency and the Marantz as Low frequencies.

I have already demo at home bi-amping with both power amp from Cambridge Audio. It really sounds better. It is just that it takes too much space, not sure it is the best way to optimize both amps...

The Rotel option should be power enough for those speakers...

The marantz power amp has very good price...

HELP!

I recall the 851a measured significantly more powerful than 120watts when hifi news tested it, and the difference between 120 or 150 is neither here nor there in itself.

Only a brave soul would attempt to Bi-amp with different makes. I'd stick to Cambridge if you choose that route.

The Rotel might well do the trick, and in the UK B&W distribute Rotel, or used to, so there may be some synergy. You can only be sure by listening in your space, so find a patient dealer. Good luck.

Thanks for your time.

I have decided not to bi-amp finally. Maybe i will upgrade the integrated amp or just use it as pre-amp and get a power amp around 200W.

My main concern is that to make my system shine right now i need to put loud volume and after 3 songs i get headache. If volume is normal, then the sound is quite flat.

But I think the main problem comes from my room (open space, bad acoustics, exterior noise, etc.). There is a chance i keep upgrading the system but will still be complicated to find the sound i like in this room..

img_5816-jpg.724266

img_5819-jpg.724267

img_5820-jpg.724268

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts