B&W 685 vs 684

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'm shortly thinking of getting the 685s (to pair with the Arcam Solo Mini) and was going to stand them on the Soundstyle Z2s I bought just a few months ago and don't really want to fork out for the Super Dreadnoughts so soon after. Are they going to sound Pants on the Z2s?!

A

Anonymous

Ducati900SS:Vlakbij Utrecht
emotion-5.gif

if you go to krijtenberg audio in uithoorn vlakbij Utrecht

you could probably get a home demo though not a the same time

groetjes Emile vlakbij utrecht

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Jarnesque:I'm shortly thinking of getting the 685s (to pair with the Arcam Solo Mini) and was going to stand them on the Soundstyle Z2s I bought just a few months ago and don't really want to fork out for the Super Dreadnoughts so soon after. Are they going to sound Pants on the Z2s?!

They won't sound dreadful on the Z2s, but we've found they sound a lot better (especially in the bass) secured on hefty stands.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, but I'm going to muddy the water for you.

Don't know what your budget is but I recently auditioned the 684's against 683's to go with Cyrus 8 series equipment I was buying. Yes, the 684's have more body than the 685's but, to my mind (and ears), the 683's were substantially better again. I bought them and haven't for one second regretted it. They are £200 more expensive but fully justify the additional expense.

A

Anonymous

ValianTX:
Both great speakers.

B&W 685 - smaller room

B&W 685 - bigger room

Just my opinion.

ÿ

You mean 685 for small room and 684 for big room? Then I agree, pretty darn simple!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:ValianTX:

Both great speakers.

B&W 685 - smaller room

B&W 685 - bigger room

Just my opinion.

Would have to agree with that my self, floor standers need room to breath in a small room this may not be possible they may need to be positioned 2-3 feet from the rear wall

You mean 685 for small room and 684 for big room? Then I agree, pretty darn simple!

A

Anonymous

yellowferrit:

Sorry, but I'm going to muddy the water for you.

Don't know what your budget is but I recently auditioned the 684's against 683's to go with Cyrus 8 series equipment I was buying. Yes, the 684's have more body than the 685's but, to my mind (and ears), the 683's were substantially better again. I bought them and haven't for one second regretted it. They are £200 more expensive but fully justify the additional expense.

Again, I think room space has to be the deciding factor here. Plus whether the rest of the kit is up to the task of driving the bigger speakers properly. I wouldn't dream of just adding bigger speakers with twice the number of drive units without at least adding a power amp to cope. And to do the 683's justice you wouldn't really get away with just slapping any old cheap tack on there. Personally, I think running a pair of 3 way 684's (never mind 683's!) off of a 70 WPC wich cost only half as much as the speakers is a bit optimistic and not exactly an ideal match.

This is why I was considering and suggested a subwoofer (for myself) first as not only are you getting the extra power needed built in but also the flexibility to tune the bass to suit.

You just have to let room size be the first consideration, THEN the maximum you want to spend. Simply just filling a room with bigger speakers just because they're within budget is stupid.

My room is borderline to get away with either 685/4 so I went for the smaller/cheaper 685 leaving the option open to fill the room out a little more with a sub if I decided it was needed (plus I went for wall mounting at first). Yes, with stands and everything it works out the same price as a pair of 683's but I'm getting 200 extra, quality watts of power and I haven't got two towers of veneered MDF dominating the room (lets face it the 600 series still isn't exactly classy looking, is it?).

Since room dimensions don't grow with speaker budget and if you will insist on having B&W (which I can fully relate to
emotion-5.gif
) wouldn't it make more sense to be looking at some stand mounters from the CM range if you wanted to spend more than 685 money in one shot? Being brutaly honest though, I'd only even consider this route if I was intending to upgrade the other kit later on.

A

Anonymous

Always underestimate the size of the speaker required. I've got the 685s in 13.5 x 13 foot room and they still 'feel' and look too big. Floorstanders are meant for the largest of rooms (in an average house). IMO 31 cm high and 17cm wide is probably the ideal size in most rooms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts