B&W 685 v KEG Q300 : Decision Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all,

Been overing around the forums for a while, and now that im diving into the Hifi market I thought I'd register.

I have finally come to a conclusion of the amp I shall be using, a Marantz PM6004.

However, I yet cannot decide on the speakers. After digging through hundreds of speakers, I have come to the conclusion of these two:

B&W 685:

http://www.audiovation.co.uk/images/q300gimp.jpg

q300gimp.jpg

I went to Sevenoaks Sound and Audio today and audited both of these. I was happy with the response from both.

The B&W had a bit more "meat on the bone" and the KEFs had a bit more clarity, so both had their pros.

So apart from that I think the other decision makers are the aesthetics and practicality.

I think they both look like amazing so cant decide :p

On the practicality side, the B&W tweeters are not protected, where as the KEFs are.

Help me decide
smile.gif

Evoss

A

Anonymous

another option would be the obvious monitor audio RX2's, a very well made speaker that would go very well with the marantz..

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Evoss said:
Hey all,

I went to Sevenoaks Sound and Audio today and audited both of these. I was happy with the response from both.

The B&W had a bit more "meat on the bone" and the KEFs had a bit more clarity, so both had their pros.

So apart from that I think the other decision makers are the aesthetics and practicality.

On the practicality side, the B&W tweeters are not protected, where as the KEFs are.

Help me decide
smile.gif

Evoss

You went through all right steps choosing your speakers. Except of one and most important one. Try them at home, with your set up, in your room, it worth a hassle. These speakers will sound differently from what you heard at sevenoaks sound and it will be your main decider. That is the best way to buy speakers. Also you will be able to enjoy your final choice without grinding yourself ‘’ how would they sound in my room ‘’. (Or aesthetics you mentioned as well).

I made my choice after 3 attempts and demo at home is vital as my favourite initial choice was a big disappointment at home. Good luck and let us know with your final choice.

A

Anonymous

dariushifi said:
Evoss said:
Hey all,

Help me decide
smile.gif

Evoss

You went through all right steps choosing your speakers. Except of one and most important one. Try them at home, with your set up, in your room, it worth a hassle. These speakers will sound differently from what you heard at sevenoaks sound and it will be your main decider. That is the best way to buy speakers. Also you will be able to enjoy your final choice without grinding yourself ‘’ how would they sound in my room ‘’. (Or aesthetics you mentioned as well).

I made my choice after 3 attempts and demo at home is vital as my favourite initial choice was a big disappointment at home. Good luck and let us know with your final choice.

The setup at home was roughly the same size and shape as the demo room at Sevenoaks, however I suppose objects in the room etc will make a slight differance.

Tomorrow I am going for another audit and will enquire about a home listen.

Will they want to come with me or do I just pay a deposit/sign some forms?

Cheers,

Evoss

TRENDING THREADS