B&W 685 S1 vs Elac Debut B5.2 vs Q Acoustics 3020i probably 2nd hand for a budget of £150 - other suggestions welcome

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
B&W 685 S1 vs Elac Debut B5.2 vs Q Acoustics 3020i probably 2nd hand for a budget of £150 - other suggestions welcome

I can get them at that kind of price pretty much on ebay 2nd hand

I'm looking for some front speakers for my HTPC setup and Ive got a budget of about £150 to spend so I'm looking at the 2nd hand market.
I'm between those 3 speakers as they come with good reviews and recommendations.
I'm looking for a speaker that doesn't necessarily need a subwoofer (I own one but I don't use it very often as wife complains it gets too loud for the neighbours etc but I do still use it for some films) so in theory I'm looking for something with a full sound that can do bass without a subwoofer and sound decent.
Monitors aren't really for me as I understand they're great for clarity and detail but they miss out on the bass section (not a huge on hifi knowledge so slam me down if I'm talking rubbish but that's the impression I got).
I like heavy metal music and rock with percussion like Tool or similar and psytrance hence I want a speaker that would be able to do justice to that kind of music but for the most part I want it for HTPC use for films and TV/shows

I can't really listen to the speakers because I'm miles and miles away from anywhere where I can listen to them but I do remember I like the B&W sound relatively speaking and my current speakers are the KEF Coda 7 SEs which have what I would describe a full sound.

I should say I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate a decent pair of speakers!

Any other suggestions in that price range for that kind of sound. Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

I can get them at that kind of price pretty much on ebay 2nd hand

I'm looking for some front speakers for my HTPC setup and Ive got a budget of about £150 to spend so I'm looking at the 2nd hand market.
I'm between those 3 speakers as they come with good reviews and recommendations.
I'm looking for a speaker that doesn't necessarily need a subwoofer (I own one but I don't use it very often as wife complains it gets too loud for the neighbours etc but I do still use it for some films) so in theory I'm looking for something with a full sound that can do bass without a subwoofer and sound decent.
Monitors aren't really for me as I understand they're great for clarity and detail but they miss out on the bass section (not a huge on hifi knowledge so slam me down if I'm talking rubbish but that's the impression I got).
I like heavy metal music and rock with percussion like Tool or similar and psytrance hence I want a speaker that would be able to do justice to that kind of music but for the most part I want it for HTPC use for films and TV/shows

I can't really listen to the speakers because I'm miles and miles away from anywhere where I can listen to them but I do remember I like the B&W sound relatively speaking and my current speakers are the KEF Coda 7 SEs which have what I would describe a full sound.

I should say I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate a decent pair of speakers!

Any other suggestions in that price range for that kind of sound. Many thanks in advance!
I hate that label, audiophile, aaagh you hear it and you want to lock up your children!
Yeah apologies for the euphemism, it was meant in jest. Seriously, appreciation of music entitles you to the exclusive club of HiFi 😃👍
I can't fault your choice of speakers but also consider the Dali Oberon's. You should find secondhand on eBay that fits your budget.
Much really depends on your amplification, you need speaker that compliments the amps tonal sound, is it forward, is it laid back?
If it is laid back, you need a speaker that's forward sounding. There's no golden rule, your ears are the best judge.
On active speakers, the Adams AV7s are not bass challenged, I have them tied to Focal Subwoofer which gives that extra low level enhancement but really don't need them.
I do a lot of eBaying, great place to find a bargain. Usual caveats apply, check the seller returns policy. I hope you find the right speaker. 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: mossi

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, you may try to search also for Focal Chorus 706. They will wipe the floor with B@W, Elac mentioned by you. QA is the most serious company from three mentioned by you. But Focal is in different league...Also some old Dynaudio, Triangle will sound very good. BR.

mossi

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
I hate that label, audiophile, aaagh you hear it and you want to lock up your children!
Yeah apologies for the euphemism, it was meant in jest. Seriously, appreciation of music entitles you to the exclusive club of HiFi 😃👍
I can't fault your choice of speakers but also conder the Dali Oberon's. You should find secondhand on eBay that fits your budget.
Much really depends on your amplification, you need speaker that compliments the amps tonal sound, is it forward, is it laid back?
If it is laid back, you need a speaker that's forward sounding. There's no golden rule, your ears are the best judge.
On active speakers, the Adams AV7s are not bass challenged, I have them tied to Focal Subwoofer which gives that extra low level enhancement but really don't need them.
I do a lot of eBaying, great place to find a bargain. Usual caveats apply, check the seller returns policy. I hope you find the right speaker. 😊
I use a Yamaha RX-V377 and previously a Yamaha AX-396, not really sure if that constitutes forward sounding or lovely :(
Unfortunately I don't have that experience..

Jasonovich

I use a Yamaha RX-V377 and previously a Yamaha AX-396, not really sure if that constitutes forward sounding or lovely :(
Unfortunately I don't have that experience..
Not familiar with this Yamaha AV receiver, according to WHF, it's a very capable 5 star receiver, it has precise punchy sound.
Difficult what to draw from that but I assume this means it's lively? Somebody else on this forum, may be more familiar with the Yamaha sound.
:)

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the QA, and I own a pair of 3020i. Do check the dimensions of each of these designs to be sure they’ll fit where you intend. The QA are deeper than they are wide, which might be an issue.

The QA30x0i series tend to sound slightly smoother and softer than many price rivals, which makes them flattering of modest amplifiers. But they might be too ‘polite’ for your brashest music. It’s all a matter of taste.

If you buy carefully, and get the original boxes, they’d be easy to sell on if you didn’t like them. Or buy brand new for £189 if you shop around and have 30 days to return. For example, at Sevenoaks SAV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts