B&W 685 or EB Acoustics EB1 Speakers

Emeka

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Can someone please advice me, which of the two speakers above is better. I intended buying the B&W but after reading the review on EB1, I am not sure which of the two to go for now. I have £500.00 budget for the speaker and owns a rotel RA-04 amp.

Thanks.

Emeka

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I trialed the 685's and Quad 11L and thought the Quads just as good as the B & W. When a decent set of the bigger Quad 12L2's came up I plumped for them. I can't understand why Quads are seemingly never mentioned in these threads. They look and sound superb.

A

Anonymous

I had the Quad11L2's in piano veneer black. Very impressive looking speakers, great bass control for their size. My one complaint was the uncontrolled nature of the treble, something the original 11L's handled with ease. Perhaps my system was not matched to handle it, but listening to them for long periods of time was tiring. The treble was harsh and ebrassive with certain tracks. Stunning looking speakers though...

A

Anonymous

Ooo interesting - what's the line up?

Are the Rega RS1's included?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
ScottH:I had the Quad11L2's in piano veneer black. Very impressive looking speakers, great bass control for their size. My one complaint was the uncontrolled nature of the treble, something the original 11L's handled with ease. Perhaps my system was not matched to handle it, but listening to them for long periods of time was tiring. The treble was harsh and ebrassive with certain tracks. Stunning looking speakers though...

I've certainly not found that problem with the 12L2's treble, I never tire of listening to them. My wife can vouch for the bass qualities however!

A

Anonymous

Emeka:

Can someone please advice me, which of the two speakers above is better. I intended buying the B&W but after reading the review on EB1, I am not sure which of the two to go for now. I have £500.00 budget for the speaker and owns a rotel RA-04 amp.

Thanks.

Emeka

You have another pair to consider as well - the £485.00 Dynaudio DM 2/7 (5 Stars)!!! Choices, choices, choices.....
emotion-12.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Emeka:

Thanks.

Emeka

Demo both and anything else that gets mentioned on here with your amp and pick what your ears decide suit you.

A

Anonymous

The EB1 is only available from their website, but the good news it's sold on a 30 day trial basis.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:The EB1 is only available from their website, but the good news it's sold on a 30 day trial basis.

Tarquinh is right and it's an option well worth considering. 30 days in your home environment is a real acid test for any pair of speakers - it will certainly give them time to 'run-in' as well as allow you to experiment with positioning and the acoustics of your room as opposed to the shop. If you can get other speakers for a home demo, grab the opportunity.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:Emeka:

Thanks.

Emeka

You have another pair to consider as well - the £485.00 Dynaudio DM 2/7 (5 Stars)!!! Choices, choices, choices.....
emotion-12.gif

I was also considering the DM 2/7's but they have an impedence of 4ohm. I emailed Rotel about the impedence - they said that the RA04 would struggle to drive them. I am currently looking at the EB1, Rega RS1, Lektor 2 and possibly the Mezzo 2. Was also considering the B&W 685 but have read on other reviews that to get the best you need a beefy amp.

A

Anonymous

So, I've had a weeks home audition with the Rega RS1's
emotion-2.gif

Very detailed, smooth, warm - and various other superlatives.
The tweeter gives very detailed highs without becoming harsh or bright (I've read that on the R1's this was a concern).
The mids are superbly clear and rich. Having the tweeter below the mid/bass seemed an unusual configuration but they integrate seamlessly.

My only slight (very slight) concern would be the bass. Having read a review on a rival site which stated that the RS1's were lightweight in the bass - I certainly found the opposite to be true. The bass was tight, detailed and kicked low. However, on heavy electronic music there was a slight bit of boom. This may well be due to positioning and/or room accoustics - they are positioned in an alcove on Atacama stands about 7ft apart and about 8" from the rear and side walls (although the side walls only extend about 2ft alongside the speakers).

With my preferences for Jazz, Vocal, Soul and classical music I found them to be spot on! Vinyl was especially lush!

However, with heavy rock/electronic music I found the soundstage a bit muddled - not quite so clear in picking out the individual instruments - again this could be due to placement and the slight boom of the bass may be muddying the mids.

They are not very forgiving of poor quality recordings but I guess with speakers of this standard why would you want anything less.

I'm no expert but that's my overall view (for what its worth). Overall they are stunning speakers!

Are these the speakers for me? Yes!

Although.....the EB1's might be worth .... arrrrrrgh!!!
emotion-12.gif

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
can anyone tell me if the EB1's have a ported or sealed enclosure?
and how far to be used from a rear wall?
me thinks a greater choice of finishes would be helpful...........

A

Anonymous

The EB1's are rear ported. The WHF review stated that 30cms was the best positioning however having spoken to Richard Allen at EB acoustics he said that 20cms should be ok. At the end of the day the sound can also be influenced by room accoustics.

I've already auditioned the Rega RS1. The EB1's are next up, closely followed by the AVI Neutron 5.

TRENDING THREADS