B&W 684 partners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bit of unexpected money coming my way so im looking at b&w 684 which i love the look of and have found for £550 at sevenoaks.

£500-600 budget each for cd player and amp but would prefer to spend a lot less if the benefits are not good value

Gonna go to my local sevenoaks and liten to some stuff as they seem to have most of the kit i like?

My shortlist so far, prefer british kit

Amps: Rotel ra06, Cyrus 6(underpowered maybe???), Creek Evo

Cd Players: Creek Evo, Cyrus 6, Arcam cd73 (very appealing due to price of £250)

What goes best with the 684's, what else should i add to my shortlist and is there any other speakers i am overlooking.

I listen to mostly blues, rock (beatles,stones, zeppelin, cream, white stripes, libertines, ect) plus some dance music (drum n bass, electro, techno) and am looking for a detailed and controlled sound with plenty of attack to.

I am particularly attracted to the cyrus kit (have allways wanted to own some cyrus stuff) as i like the look and i will be able to accomodate it next to my av setup on my rack due to its size. but am a bit worried the cyrus 6 isn't man enough for the 684s

A

Anonymous

Personally I would knock the Rotel off that list. Aren't they Japanese anyway?

Of the remaining, Cyrus would be first on my audition list.

A

Anonymous

British designed and they look british, I think i read on these forums somewhere that rotel and b&w go together like bread and butter

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I cannot comment on the partnership with the 684 but if your budget is tight i doubt you can do much better than an Arcam CD73 at £250. It is an excellent CD player with a high quality sound that i have not heard from another player at the £250 price bracket. It even comes with text and looks great too..... I have read on these forums from time to time that Arcam and B&W in general are pretty well suited.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Very good speakers. Nearly bought them when i went to audition my M/A RS6's but they just pipped the B&W's to the post.

The Arcam CD73 is a very good deal and a v good CDP. Would be worth looking at either a brand new Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp (theyre on Ebay for c£699 currently - Via sevenoaks i think)

The Cyrus 6 integrated amp is good but i think the Cyrus 8 would be better. The B&W's love to be driven and the extra power the Cyrus 8v2 amp gives definitly makes a good improvement.

The Roksan Kandy LIII amp is always worthwhile looking at too.

If you're happy with 2nd hand separates take a look at Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and the matching 10P power amp or the Arcam A85 integrated matched with the Arcam P85 power amp.

Id leave the A90 out of the equation; plenty of power but lacks guts (midrange is too smooth and the bass is a floppy and a little non existant st times).

Possibly look for an Arcam CD92 or the Arcam Alpha 9 CDPs as well (again 2nd hand off Ebay or on http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/public.asp)

Chord or QED interconnects and speaker cable work best. Try to bi-wire (or bi-amp the speakers) if you can. Makes a noticable improvement.

A

Anonymous

i have to admit the arcam cd73 is definatly tempting at that ridiculus price. As for the cyrus i cant really stretch to the 8, do you think the 6 would come up a bit short for the 684s. I spose i could allways send a 6 back to cyrus for upgrade to 8 at some stage.

Anyone else got any opnions?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]
Bit of unexpected money coming my way so im looking at b&w 684 which i love the look of and have found for £550 at sevenoaks.

£500-600 budget each for cd player and amp but would prefer to spend a lot less if the benefits are not good value

Gonna go to my local sevenoaks and liten to some stuff as they seem to have most of the kit i like?

Cd Players: Creek Evo, Cyrus 6, Arcam cd73 (very appealing due to price of £250)

What goes best with the 684's, what else should i add to my shortlist and is there any other speakers i am overlooking.

I listen to mostly blues, rock (beatles,stones, zeppelin, cream, white stripes, libertines, ect) plus some dance music (drum n bass, electro, techno) and am looking for a detailed and controlled sound with plenty of attack to.

I am particularly attracted to the cyrus kit (have allways wanted to own some cyrus stuff) as i like the look and i will be able to accomodate it next to my av setup on my rack due to its size. but am a bit worried the cyrus 6 isn't man enough for the 684s

[/quote]

If you're looking to spend up to £2k on a system I would strongly advise going for a demo. I'm a big Arcam fan but with your taste in music I would perhaps suggest Cyrus or Musical Fidelity CD and amp and perhaps not B&W. For Dance, B&W has tight bass but maybe look at Spendor, Tannoy, Epos and AVI, not to mention Dynaudio or ProAc for rock. A dealer would bite your hand off for £2k. Use your ears to decide.

A

Anonymous

Oh dont worry i will definatly be taking a good listen to stuff , i was just trying to get together a bit of a shortlist.

Im hoping to not quite spend 2 grand if i can help it. What part of my music taste wouldnt the b&w / arcam kit suit?

Im also considering taking at look at seconhand stuff. My dads got the original musical fidelity X ray cd player and the musical fidelity xa-2 amp which ive allways been really impressed with and i know you can get these for a good price on ebay ocasionally. Would these go with the 684s

I have also allways liked the Aura va 100 amp and im guessing this might suit the 684s, what do you reckon?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Arcam is on the mellow side, good for house at home but not for rock or full-on parties. If you're wanting a nice BBQ with some mates then great, but if you want a big night then there's more forward kit like MF and Naim that's more suitable. If you're looking to immerse yourself and close your eyes then Arcam is where it's at.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I really like Stone Roses but Arcam is better suited to Groove Armada, Talk Talk, Back to Mine series, Beautiful South, Just Jack, K&D, Undrworld, Paul Weller, Everything but the Girl etc

A

Anonymous

As you can see I have the 685's with Rotel..........my music Metal with Led Zepp, Genesis, Neil Young etc and I think that they sound brilliant together............great for Rock music

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

[/quote]

There are some deals out there for cyrus packages. Currently about 1.3k or thereabouts for 8vs2 and matching player. Partner these with Rega's R3, a much better speaker imo and you have everything you asked for and more.

A

Anonymous

Really cant afford the cyrus 8 setup, do you think the cyrus 6 package will drive the 684s ok.

Which part of my music taste will the 684s not suit, the rock or the dance?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Really cant afford the cyrus 8 setup, do you think the cyrus 6 package will drive the 684s ok.

Which part of my music taste will the 684s not suit, the rock or the dance?

[/quote]

Well, looking at your initial posting my suggestion comes in at roughly the same price but if you are really set on the B&W's the cyrus 6 amplifier will be sufficient for reasonable volumes. Imo a rather compromised package but if you like the sound when auditioning, why not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts