B&W 683s just wont let their hair down

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All. I recently purchased B&W 683s and am driving them with a Marantz KI Pearl. The speakers probably haven't finished the run-in but they must be close. Problem is:

I agree with reviews here on the 683 home theatre system lauding the control and refinement, esp at low volume, but when it comes time to rip the Clark Kent suit off and be superman a while, they just won't let go. It's as if the spandex clad rocker sitting under their tuxedo of refinement is too busy nodding on opiates to notice it's time to get up and dance on the table of...of...

That time to dance on the table is the last minute of Bolero, or when Ice Cube tells it like it is when he's bemoaning the Rodney King thing, or when AC/DC shakes it all night long, or whatever. So frustrating. You need refinement, but man you need a moment somewhere in there to let the neanderthal go walking.

What can I do?

Someone suggested biwiring is good with these speakers, but as far as I can see this only adds refinement, not muscle.

Am using QED Revelation cables and am awaiting some merlin interconnects.

Want to add, since theres so little said here of the big KI Pearl - It's masterful. I wouldn't want to pay full price for it though (got it new for half price (**GLEE**) and maybe there's better speakers out there to pair it with but I'd say the budget is fairly well roasted for now.

Thanks for any suggestions

A

Anonymous

For me personally it'd be an issue with the amp. I've always found that Marantz and B&W dont gel that well at all...

Maybe it's worth looking at changing your speakers to the likes of QUAD, Monitor Audio or Dali etc... I've always found that they work a lot better with Marantz that B&W

The B&W 683's are big speakers and they need a solid, gutsy amp to drive them. I dont think Marantz fit into that catagory at all. Amps like NAD, Musical Fidelity, Rotel or Arcam would suit the bill better

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I would think the same. Pearl series, though great for refinement it is not very exciting. Also, I was struggling alot in the past to make Marantz + B&W to work at various price points (CM7 with PM-11S1 for example). All I get is more refinement and ballet like feeling but not so much of club like feeling. The only thing I can think of is moving the speakers around where they are able to interact with room in a different way and serve your needs.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I would think the same. Pearl series, though great for refinement it is not very exciting. Also, I was struggling alot in the past to make Marantz + B&W to work at various price points (CM7 with PM-11S1 for example). All I get is more refinement and ballet like feeling but not so much of club like feeling. The only thing I can think of is moving the speakers around where they are able to interact with room in a different way and serve your needs.

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't think that the amplifier is the problem at all, the Pearl has racked up a mountain of awards in other publications. It's power has been independently rated at more like 110w, its not the Pearl that is the problem. I heard the 683s when I was shopping for some floorstanders and my take on them is very much the same as yours. Too refined. I can't see anything changing their approach, maybe an exciting source but even then. Id save a few pound, and wait until you can trade them. Some people love that polite and sound but if your looking for more excitment i'd wait and listen to some Dynaudio X32, Dali Ikon 6 or the Pro Ac 140. I think the Marantz will sound the biz with all these provided you have a good source. You could spend quite a bit of money on cables and then come to the conclusion that they don't change the character of the speaker.

TRENDING THREADS