B&W 683 S2 with Marantz PM6005

SoundWave

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

The recommended amplifier power for the B&W 683 S2's is 25 - 200W into 8 ohm and the Marantz can deliver 45W into 8 ohm.

I know it would be enough power to drive them, but would you guys recommend an amplifier with a little more power? I already have the Marantz CD6005 so I thought it would be nice looking if I combined them.

Thanks in advance,

SoundWave (Lorenz Kyndt)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

As noone has replied I will say the B&W looks quite sensitive so should be OK with the 6005. But best to audition before buying. If I were you I would try other speakers as well, not a fan of cheaper B&W speakers but they are aimed at a certain market. What sort of music do you play? Room size? Listening volume?

Oh I see you have the speakers already?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't combine them. I guess they'll sound fine most of the time, and especially at lower volumes, but the amp will lose control as soon as you try to listen at louder levels. This is more to do with how the impedance changes at different frequencies. If it drops very low in the bass, entry level amps like the Marantz might struggle to supply enough current.

Heard the PM8005 with NA-8005 driving some 684s2s. I was quite impressed, as the last couple of generations of 800X amps have left me a bit underwhelmed. Personally the PM8005 would be the minimum level I'd be looking at with those speakers.

SoundWave

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

I am ofcourse going to try other speakers, yet I've seen the review about these here saying that they were really good.

I play all sorts of music from, classical to rock to dance hits. They would stand in my bedroom which is large enough for these speakers normally and the listining volume would varry from occasion to occasion.

And no I have not yet bought anything, except for the CD-player.

SoundWave

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

Okay and if you were going to buy these speakers, which amp would you opt for (not only whitin the Marantz brand)?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
SoundWave said:
Thanks for the reply!

Okay and if you were going to buy these speakers, which amp would you opt for (not only whitin the Marantz brand)?

Many say that Rotel amps go well with B&W (particularly the RA 1570 for the 683's), but also look at the Arcam A19 and Naim 5si for starters.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Best amp I heard was Creek 50A but thats about £750. If budget limited I would look around for some used bargains, I have seen Arcam A19s go for about £400 twice. Older Creeks. Marantz Pearl Lite if you can find one. Rega Brio R. If you have not bought the B&Ws I would try others. Speakers are often room dependant, esp. floorstanders. To be honest with those speakers I would be looking at ammps in the £700-£1,000 price range. If I were you I would get your total budget and see what you can get for that rather than spend £1,000 on speakers and £250 on an amp.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the Pm&SA8005 (thanks Peter Tyson-great deal and service}. Unlike the Creek, drives my Dyns with ease and aplomb. Should have no problem with the B&W683s IMHO. At £1000 price point, the Marantz offers excellent value. At £650 it's a steal.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi soundwave.

Maybe a different idea: what about TEAC?

The AX 501 is a small but powerfull class-D amp. His little sister is driving my 685s2 without problem.

http://audio.teac.com/product/ax-501/specifications/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts