B&O rewrites the loudspeaker rule book

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/loudspeakers/beolab-90

The downloadable white paper runs to 65 pages and makes absolutely captivating reading

Enjoy

John... *dirol*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
First impression from the website pics. I really don't like the aesthetics, looks like a badly pitched portable tent. But then I saw them without the mesh... and witnessed the horror. Don't get me wrong, this is true B&O just because of this. I love it.

I'm not understanding the "reinvented the loudspeaker" bit. Multiple drivers in multidirectional configuration (even active) is something already done decades ago. Can someone sum up whats the important bit for the rest of us too lazy to read the 165 pages?

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is a link to some videos (four) which might explain things a little easier than digesting the 65 page white paper..

https://www.youtube.com/user/recordere/videos

Please enjoy

Cheers

John..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They're like an inverted KEF Blade design.

I'm not so sure about 'rewriting' the rule book - looks more like trying to do something different to everyone else in the hope that the majority are fooled into seeing it as a new approach and the holy grail.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just an comment to say that I've now heard these speakers on 3 different occassions.

Putting aside all the ground breaking technology, i.e. user variable speaker directivity, active noise cancelling techniques to remove colouration effects of the room etc, they are flat out the finest loudspeakers I've ever heard when the measure is "the closest approach to the original sound"

No, I haven't heard exotica such as the Steinway Lyngdorf system, or MBL Radiastrahlers, but having heard the rest of the so called high end mainstream loudspeakers (Kef, B&W 800 series, Quad 989's, Tannoys, Kipsch, JBL Everests etc) the Beolab 90's move the game on by a very considerable margin.

And no, I wasn't 'there' at the recording venue re the recordings I played to assess them, re my comment "the closest approach to the original sound", but as a trained classical musician, I played recordings of instruments I am intimately familliar with and play, and to my ears, they got me closer to the illusion of live music being performed, in a true and believable manner, such that they are easily the finest loudspeakers I've ever heard at any price, when the measure is "the closest approach to the original sound"

Definitely not for the mix and match hobbyist audiophile, but for the music lover interested in Hi Fidelity reproduction to the highest levels, they are currently THE state of the art to my ears.

Cheers

John..

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just an comment to say that I've now heard these speakers on 3 different occassions.

Putting aside all the ground breaking technology, i.e. user variable speaker directivity, active noise cancelling techniques to remove colouration effects of the room etc, they are flat out the finest loudspeakers I've ever heard when the measure is "the closest approach to the original sound"

No, I haven't heard exotica such as the Steinway Lyngdorf system, or MBL Radiastrahlers, but having heard the rest of the so called high end mainstream loudspeakers (Kef, B&W 800 series, Quad 989's, Tannoys, Kipsch, JBL Everests etc) the Beolab 90's move the game on by a very considerable margin.

And no, I wasn't 'there' at the recording venue re the recordings I played to assess them, re my comment "the closest approach to the original sound", but as a trained classical musician, I played recordings of instruments I am intimately familliar with and play, and to my ears, they got me closer to the illusion of live music being performed, in a true and believable manner, such that they are easily the finest loudspeakers I've ever heard at any price, when the measure is "the closest approach to the original sound"

Definitely not for the mix and match hobbyist audiophile, but for the music lover interested in Hi Fidelity reproduction to the highest levels, they are currently THE state of the art to my ears.

Cheers

John..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts