Azur 340A SE - Floor standing speakers: suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I would like to buy some new speakers and get a proper HIFI system. I already have that Azur 340A SE amplifier from Cambridge. As for speakers I was thinking about http://www.whathifi.com/review/b%2526w-684. Although I don't know if my amplifier is strong enough.

I listen to is pop, hambient, classic, opera. Sometimes rock.

I wish a pair of speakers which are equilibrated: I don't like too crispy sounds and at the same time I don't like hearing the bass too much. Also I normally play music not so loud (neighbours), the maximum I reach of my azur is 12 o'clock. Maybe 14. Oh and I listen to classical music (piano) but also concerts, opera, requiem mass... and pop, hambient, little bit of rock. House and such I haven't interest... beside sometimes when I want to let the tiger out. Lol.

I have already used this amp with an old set of passive bose satellites and sub. I liked the sound, bass was a little bit too much. And I had to turn the volume quite high to have that "music everywhere" feeling... why that? Does it depend on sensivity of the speaker? Wrong cables?

As I was saying while listening to music I like to feel permeated by it: I like the room to be filled by music and feeling it everywhere.

As for the source I'm using mp3 player or PC. I know it's not the best solution quality wise, but it's so practical.

So I was wondering are those B&W good for me? Is there something better for my setup? Possible good looking? B&W look a little bit sturdy.

Thank you all.

matitaccia

A

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that yesterday I went to a local hi-fi shop and I was able to see and hear a pair of B&W CM8:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/CM8.html

Wow. They do sound nice. And they look good too. Ain't cheap though. I thought they would be much bigger.

I have been unlucky though the 684 that I wanted to test had been sold just a few hours before and the guy hadn't any left. They will get a new pair of them maybe in february. Probably I have got to seek some other shop in a bigger city.

bye

matitaccia

T

the record spot

The 340SE is a good starter amp, but for that level of speaker such as the 684 or the like, you need something with more clout under the bonnet to really control the drivers. Not so much to give you more volume, just to physically control the speaker's drive units.

matthewpiano

THe 340A SE is a great amp but, as RS suggests, not really a great match for 684s, CM8s etc. which need more grip from the amplifier than the little Cambridge can provide.

Personally, I'd be looking at something relatively easy to drive like a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i or the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V.2, both of which should give you a nicely balanced sound which works at low and high volumes.

If you would consider standmounts you might find the balanced nature of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 suitable. In floorstander format, the Diamond 10.3 is also worth a look.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the comments above, and suggest you demo these:

Tannoy Mercury V4....Mission MX3's

Both around £350-380, and the best at their price point currently.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thinking about upgrade your amp anytime soon?

If so, the MA BX5's/KEF Q500's/B&W 684 might be an option.....

If not, I wouldn't look look any further than the speakers mentioned so far....assuming floorstanders are a must have....

A

Anonymous

Ok I think I should collect some experience first.

I have the feeling though that if I change amplifier and get those loudspeaker I have proposed will get me in trouble with my neighbours. I think it's better to stick with the cambridge.

As from the picture the floorstanders I like most are Q Acoustic's 2050i. I like the finish very much. I have looked for the shop here in switzerland and I have found one, 2 hours car's ride. If I ever go there I should really take my amp with me and some music I know.

T

the record spot

Don't think you'll be disappointed with the 2050s - fine speakers, though the only thing you might want to watch out for is the very detailed tweeter which might not make for the best partner with the 340SE (Cambridge having a reputation for a little brightness in their gear generally). If that is the case, hang on to the speakers and go for something a little more neutral across the board; the Qs will happily take an upgrade or two to your amp yet rather than the other way around.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Excuse me, but I don't understand what you mean with your last sentence:

the record spot said:
the Qs will happily take an upgrade or two to your amp yet rather than the other way around.

You mean it's easier to upgrade the speakers instead of the amp?

Thank you.

matitaccia

T

the record spot

No, I mean that the Q acoustics will be easier to partner with more expensive amplifiers than it will be to pair up more expensive speakers with your 340SE.

A

Anonymous

Now I get it. Thanx.

Right now I have to test 2 set of speakers then:

1) 2050i (still waiting to know the price here in Switzerland, tomorrow I should receive an answer)

2) Indiana Line Tesi 542 http://www.indianaline.it/en/tesi-542/1966 which is an italian product: anyone knows them?

Thank you!

matitaccia

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts