AVR600 - One Box Nirvana

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed that the WHF review of the AVR600 has been amended to say that the firmware issues have now resolved usability issues. This is certainly not the case for me or it seems a number of other users.

I am getting frequent lock-ups with firmware 1.9 when using my Virgin Media V+ box (3 times last night). Lock-ups render the Arcam remote unusable and require the main power switch to be reset. When I do get a picture, theres no audio (input audio set to HDMI on AVR600) and I have to change channel on the V+ box. I'm getting more errors with the V+ with 1.9 (installed by dealer) than I did with 1.8. My Oppo blu-ray has less issues with 1.9 than it did with 1.8, but it's still not devoid of issues.

Having recently listened to some alternatives to replace the AVR600, I'd agree it is in a league of it's own in audio terms, but I wouldn't call it "one box nirvana" as it stands. I can only compare it to my previous HDMI amp, an Onkyo 905 which cost me £800. I had no issues with any of my HDMI connections with this amp, obviously some manufacturers have a more polite handshake technique!

WHF Team, I'd be grateful if you could do some of your own research into other owners/forums to see the scale of people still experiencing issues. I'm concerned that the awards are looming and that calling the AVR600 one box nirvana sends the wrong message to Arcam and potential buyers. Thanks for your consideration of this issue.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:perhaps it was a reference to Kurt Cobain?

What, do you reckon Arcam are trying to do 'emselves in with this product?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Definitely still an issue we're investigating. While firmware version 1.9 seemed to solve the issues our receiver (and others) were having - hence the review amend; though we've kept in reference to firmware problems - we've started to experience some problems just in the last few days (but then we do plug/unplug a heck of a lot of kit into the poor beast).

Our earlier statement still stands re the firmware issue being solved to our satisfaction before the Arcam is considered for the Awards, too.

Would be very interested in hearing experiences from others.

(PS - you mention the Onkyo '905: I switched from using this receiver because of HDCP issues with a new Sky HD box; issues that disappeared with a change of receiver. HDMI is a total pain).

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: we've started to experience some problems just in the last few days

It's interesting that you say that, because mine appears to be getting worse with the V+. After 1.9, the Oppo switching created a few issues, which seem to be not so frequent now, but the V+ switching certainly appears to be getting worse over time. Weird!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thi might sound weird, but I only know of one of our AVR600 customers who's been having problems, and if they have, they haven't come back to us. Our dem one has been performing fine without any issues at all.

A

Anonymous

Pete, why don't you get yours swapped out? Mine's been nothing like as bad as yours, though I don't have cable or sky.

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete,

Regarding the audio for your V+ box, can I please refer you to our discussion some time back:
"For your V+ audio, if you are able, try out an optical cable - as I said, a quick search of other user's comments on using this box with a multitude of other amps does suggest this is the way forward."

On the AVR600, you would then select HDMI as the video source & Digital as the audio source.

Best regards,

Nick Clarke

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Nickclk:

Hi Pete,

Regarding the audio for your V+ box, can I please refer you to our discussion some time back:
"For your V+ audio, if you are able, try out an optical cable - as I said, a quick search of other user's comments on using this box with a multitude of other amps does suggest this is the way forward."

On the AVR600, you would then select HDMI as the video source & Digital as the audio source.

Best regards,

Nick Clarke

Hi Nick, whilst I appreciate your suggestion and help, the idea of HDMI was a one cable solution which my Onkyo managed perfectly well between it and my V+, plus there were less incidents of no audio with the V+ under firmware 1.8!

Is SPDIF likely to stop the AVR600 complete lock-ups, or just the audio issues? Neither problems are acceptable, but changing the V+ channel up and down on the remote is not a great hardship to get the audio working, having to keep getting up and down to turn the AVR600 on and off is, I might start losing weight at this rate! I ask because I don't have a spare optical cable and unfortunately I'm one of those that subscribe to using better quality cables and don't want to shell out for an optical cable if it won't stop the lock-ups.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but this is the most I've ever spent on a single piece of hifi and it's probably one of the most disappointing in terms of unresolved issues. Surely it's Arcam who should be urgently seeking to resolve these issues, not asking their customers to find ways around them meaning that the unit isn't useable as advertised? On that other forum of scandalous untruths, AVR600 owners appear to be reporting conflicting messages from Arcam as to whether there will be anymore firmware releases for the unit this year, please can you confirm whether another firmware release is likely this year.

I'll end on a high...unfortunately for me, having listened, there's no alternative soundwise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts