AVR and Speakers Upgrade

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I really need your advise based on the options i have at the moment.

My option is limited to amazon.com as prices in UK are high.

The current systems uses 120 volts, so i use power converter.

Current System:

Yamaha RX-V377 AVR

Sony UBP-X800 Player

Yamaha NS-P40 5.1 Speaker System

LG 40" 4K tv

I made a mistake on my current system most especially on speaker selection, and i want to change the Yamaha AVR to something that does music better, and Dolby Atmos Wifi features.

On the AVR, i have Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 which has no review yet and Sony STR-DN1080, the Sony has a very good review.

On Speaker i have Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1, then Polk Audio TSi400 as front, Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel, Polk Audio TSi100 as Soround.

Please i need your advise on this options only, i watch 4k movies and play flac audio files so which of the above AVR will do better on music and which is goingto be perfect matching speaker from the two options?

Does the power convertion affect the system negatively?

I am going to keep the Sony UHD Player but the rest has to go.

Thanks

You cannot get Dolby Atmos with 5.1 speakers. You will need at least 2 more overhead speakers for a 5.1.2 system for Atmos. What's your budget for speakers? Choice of AV receiver depends on speaker selection. Polk Audio is a well known brand but they're not as widely availabel in the UK. So I haven't heard it. Yamaha RX-A770 belongs to the superior Aventage range and is generally better for music than the Sony to my ears, but this depends largely on the speaker choice as well. The advice is usually to demo before purchase as we all have our individual music preferences but I understand this won't be possible in your situation.

Power converters can be noisy. I've never used them, so cannot comment on whether they adversely affect performance.

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i have plan to add more speakers later to get the dolby atmos, example if i go with the pioneer speakers i can add SP-T22A-LR.

For the speakers i have budget of $750 and $700 for the AVR.

The Yamaha RXV377 is my first AVR, you can have idea that i am new to the game, i will appreciate any better upgrade.

Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Aventage and the pioneer Andrew Jones package. I have had previous gen version of the Sony str dn 1080, but found their room calibration to be off the chart. The Yamaha aventage is superior to the Sony in all respects and comes with Yamaha's proven room correction system.

As regarding the speakers, those pioneer Andrew Jones have been very well reviewed. And IAM yet to read a bad thing about them.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
There are also something called pioneer Andrew Jones sp22b. These are book shelves with too firing Atmos speakers. These are supposed to be sensational speakers as well if you can find them.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Those pioneer bookshelves I had mentioned in my previous post were SP-EBS73-LR. They are book shelves with too firing Atmos speakers in built. The top firing Atmos setup has been hit and miss sometimes so far, depending on how your ceiling looks. But you could buy them in place of the pioneer AJ floor standers, as they are sensational speakers. They are a 3 way design unlike most book shelf speakers and have inbuilt bass drivers. CNET has been giving them the highest recommendation in the 500 USD budget for the last 2 yrs. They will set you back by 500 USD. But worth the investment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts