AVR & 5.1 speaker package or soundbar?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to help a friend decide what sort of sound system to get for his projector room.

This room will be purely for movies. He has another room for general TV.

The room is about 3m x 4m

The screen is on one of the 3m walls with the projector hanging from the ceiling at the opposite end.

The door to the room is right near the corner on one of the 4m walls and opens onto the wall with the screen.

This is making it difficult to work out where to place front speakers (as the door will hit one of them) hence thinking of a sound bar for convenience.

Budget about £500.00 but can go a bit higher if it makes a big difference.

What would you do?

Would a £500.00 sound bar be as good as a £500.00 5.1 system?

Would a system with small satellite speakers be better overall? Small speakers could go in the corners or on the walls without the door hitting them.

I have already advised demoing some kit but he wants some suggestions first to narrow it down.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
The screen is on one of the 3m walls with the projector hanging from the ceiling at the opposite end.

The door to the room is right near the corner on one of the 4m walls and opens onto the wall with the screen.

This is making it difficult to work out where to place front speakers (as the door will hit one of them) hence thinking of a sound bar for convenience.

Budget about £500.00 but can go a bit higher if it makes a big difference.

What would you do?

Put the screen at the other end of the room.

Would a £500.00 sound bar be as good as a £500.00 5.1 system?

No it wouldn't, you only get a semblance of surround, any 5.1 system will be an improvement.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Agree with The_Lhc - a full 5.1 system will sound better than a soundbar and turning the room around so the screen is at the other end.

Can a rubber doorstop not be placed in front of the speaker - stops the door hitting it at least.

Personally I wouldn't have a system including a projector.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

That was meant to be:

Personally I wouldn't have a system including a projector and a soundbar.

A projector yes - definitely. I'd certainly have a decent amp/speaker/source to go with it or it'd be wasted.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just thought - should this thread be in the Home Cinema forum? Thanks for the replies so far. The screen has to stay where it is (yes, I know!). What amp/speaker package would you recommend?

Mods - Done!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Decided seperates, AVR + speakers. 5.1 or 5.0 and add sub later if needed. Budget now £1000.00 max but less prefered. What would you suggest to try?

TRENDING THREADS