AVI Neutron 5 v Leema Xero

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
No one then?

Both of these are on a shortlist to upgrade (assuming the Sevenoaks £349 deal still holds) and what I've researched on the Xero's for me makes fascinating reading. It really is going to be a serious hassle for me to audition these so any potential feedback much appreciated. Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The problem (as I am sure you are aware) is that AVI mostly sell direct from their website.

Leema Xeros are sold in Hifi shops. So it is unlikely that anyone has directly compared the two in a dealer demo.

There is a small chance that someone on the forum has owned both.

Hopefully they will notice this thread.

You could try phoning the few dealers on AVI's dealer list and see if any of them stock Leema Xeros too. (I have no idea how up to date that list is.)

Good luck.

[Edit. Bartletts appear to stock Leema Xero and AVI Neutron speakers.]

John Duncan

Hm. Have heard them both, but not together, so am not allowed to comment under the new regime
emotion-2.gif

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Chebby. I'm aware that AVI only use a limited number of outlets to sell there products (mainly online as you say) so I appreciate the difficulties. There is a dealer in Gloucester which stocks both; no idea if he has both on demo but if he did I couldn't do the "dirty" and go elsewhere if I preferred the Xero's.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Hm. Have heard them both, but not together, so am not allowed to comment under the new regime
emotion-2.gif

What regime is that JD?

John Duncan

This one. Though to be fair, it only says not to comment on things if you haven't heard them, as opopsed to haven't heard them in direct A/B comparison.

I think the point holds true though - whilst my experience of the two would absolutely make me buy the Neutron (and I did), that of the Xero would absolutely not: but the latter was in far from ideal conditions with unfamiliar source, so it almost amounts to the same thing that the poster complains about in that thread.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I am not convinced either of your amplifiers (Pioneer A400 or Marantz PM6003) are going to get the very best from these speakers.

Are you upgrading the amp soon?

Upgrading the amp will be in a few months time but I want the speakers first.

Mallory at Leema is of the opinion that the Marantz will work fine with the Xero's which was my principal concern. Cypher seems pretty thrilled with his Marantz/Neutron combo which didn't altogether surprise me as have heard it works well elsewhere.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Upgrading the amp will be in a few months time but I want the speakers first.

Mallory at Leema is of the opinion that the Marantz will work fine with the Xero's which was my principal concern.

Excellent. That's ok then.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:This one. Though to be fair, it only says not to comment on things if you haven't heard them, as opopsed to haven't heard them in direct A/B comparison.

I think the point holds true though - whilst my experience of the two would absolutely make me buy the Neutron (and I did), that of the Xero would absolutely not: but the latter was in far from ideal conditions with unfamiliar source, so it almost amounts to the same thing that the poster complains about in that thread.

Ah, THAT one. All is now clear.

I know you loved your Neutrons so why did you part with them?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Sizzers:Upgrading the amp will be in a few months time but I want the speakers first.

Mallory at Leema is of the opinion that the Marantz will work fine with the Xero's which was my principal concern.

Excellent I'll be upgrading my amp (obviously! lol), or Mallory approves?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:chebby:

Both. Nice to get re-assurance from the manufacturer themselves (especially one of the designers).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Sizzers:chebby:

Both. Nice to get re-assurance from the manufacturer themselves (especially one of the designers).

Totally different from Ashley when I queried with him why a particular dealer would only let me demo the Neutrons with a Teac AH-380 micro set-up. Said it was better than my Pioneer!

John Duncan

Sizzers:I know you loved your Neutrons so why did you part with them?

I was a bit skint and had a bit of a clearout, with a view to getting something more modest/practical/different. Don't regret getting rid of the rest, but wish I'd kept the Neutrons now.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I was a bit skint and had a bit of a clearout, with a view to getting something more modest/practical/different. Don't regret getting rid of the rest, but wish I'd kept the Nutrons now.

But you are flush now. (An assumption given that you were recently looking for 'posh' little stand-mount speakers for the NaimUniti.)

What would be wrong with ordering another pair? Only £399 and you already know you love them. I'll bet they'd be smashing with the 'Uniti.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Sizzers:I know you loved your Neutrons so why did you part with them?

I was a bit skint and had a bit of a clearout, with a view to getting something more modest/practical/different. Don't regret getting rid of the rest, but wish I'd kept the Nutrons now.

Well I can honestly say I've never read a bad word about them but I gather they don't go too well with "brightish" kit. Hope you get another set sometime.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:... but I gather they don't go too well with "brightish" kit.

I thought you said "British" kit at first glance
emotion-1.gif
(Even AVI can't make their speakers 'reject' equipment based on nationality!)

John Duncan

chebby:What would be wrong with ordering another pair? Only £399 and you already know you love them. I'll bet they'd be smashing with the 'Uniti.

Yes, I think they would. I'm curious though as to whether more money can improve on them. Well, of course it can as the Neat Petite SXs were very special indeed, but I know that the DB1s are better, for example (albeit at more than twice the price now). Am itching to steal the EB1s from downstairs as well, since I feel they could offer the same sort of excellent value as Neutrons do (though by having no dealer margin at all, as opposed to having them manufactured in China).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts