Avatar bluray pic quality- Apr vs. Nov!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
sorry if this has already been posted but.........

i'm wondering about the avatar bluray. now i know that we're all getting
the basic release in a couple of weeks followed by the SE in nov etc.
i'm actually quite happy that they've actually been honest and told us
that they're 'double dipping' from the start so we can all make the
choice.

however, i'm actually wondering about the picture quality. i'm sure both
verions are going to be demo quality but confused by some of Cameron's
comments (all on youtube etc). he says that avatar 'barely' fits onto
one disc and that to keep the bitrate as high as possible there'll be no
trailers and basic menus etc. all good so far but, Cameron states that
the SE in the nov is going to have seemless branching to enanable us to
include an extra 6mins cut and approx an extra 30 mins of unfinished
material etc. all sounds great and i can't wait.

but how can the SE be equal to the apr release in terms of picture
quality based on his comments about removing tralairs etc? surely if the
apr release is going to max out the disc with no extras, how is the
longer SE cut going to compete?

hopefully i'm missing something simple here, what you guys think-two
discs for the film?!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
This does indeed sound strange. Obviously if this is the case then the extra 36+ minutes of footage in the seamless branching SE must require a reduction in bitrate. The only other possibility is that the bare-bones version might be printed on a BD25 disc, though this doesn't seem realistic. I've not seen the movie myself so don't know how long it runs, but Cameron is not usually known for making features under 3 hours.

A

Anonymous

I would say there's next to zero chance of it being a BD25 job. It'll be a BD50 AVC encode with a high bitrate. I imagine the extended release will be something like the US vs. the UK release of Watchmen, whereby the format sacrificed a little bit of quality in favour of including the PiP track. It should still look pretty damn good though as Fox don't tend to muck up the transfers for their high-profile titles.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
butch01:he says that avatar 'barely' fits onto one disc and that to keep the bitrate as high as possible there'll be no trailers and basic menus etc. all good so far but, Cameron states that the SE in the nov is going to have seemless branching to enanable us to include an extra 6mins cut and approx an extra 30 mins of unfinished material etc. all sounds great and i can't wait.

but how can the SE be equal to the apr release in terms of picture quality based on his comments about removing tralairs etc? surely if the apr release is going to max out the disc with no extras, how is the longer SE cut going to compete?

hopefully i'm missing something simple here, what you guys think-two discs for the film?!

The claim that Avatar 'barely' fits onto one disc seems bogus - many longer films exist on the format, on single discs with perfectly good quality picture and sound (Kingdom of Heaven is just one that springs to mind).

Having said that, the fact that Cameron spread the Titanic Special Edition DVD release over two discs might suggest he'll do the same thing again.

A

Anonymous

Again, I doubt it. I foresee a slight dip in the bitrate that most people won't even notice (unless they screw it up).

manicm

It's not strange at all - in fact I admire Cameron for this - he wanted to offer the best possible PQ, perhaps at the expense of disc space, so he did not give priority to useless extras.

The SE edition will be multi-disc.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
xon501:Any Informatation if it will be in 21:9 or 16:9 Format?

It'll be in 16:9, as it was presented in IMAX theatres. It will fill your screen at home, and hopefully look outstanding.

A

Anonymous

ive just bought this , e30 , even though i didnt rate the movie after seeing it in 3d at the cinema (stunning visuals aside) , after reading a review on blu-ray .com , i had to see what it looks and sounds like with my new speakers etc , they said its virtually referance quality in every scene , both picture and sound .. well they aint wrong , its like ive just seen hd for the first time ...amazing quality
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Just watched Avatar on blu ray and have to let you guys know that the picture quality is absolutely stunning, i was gob smacked, did not expect that much of a good picture, the sound by the way but just as good, the film... well was really good too, kinda over rated but none the less very good.

I would buy it for the visuals and sound alone, it's definately one to showcase your tv and sound system!

M

A

Anonymous

Couldnt agree more; I have just this minute finished watching Avatar and the PQ is the best I've ever seen; the sound is fantastic also. I honestly think that blu-ray has peaked with this movie.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts