AV Receiver

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had to call in some goods for unpaid work and have had a Sony AV Receiver here for the last few days testing prior to selling.

Whilst I knew that AV can be very good value for money compared to traditional hifi products I am truly impressed.

This receiver is a few years old. Having googled at innards of more recent products from Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha etc it would be fair to say that you'd probably look at £1000 plus to find anything comparable component wise. The thing is full (!) of Nichicon fine Gold stuff and other 'boutique' parts, including unusually large regulation caps and quality internal speaker terminal wiring to the board, an alps volume pot surrounded by more Nichicon Gold. - It makes the average hifi amplifier look like a poor relative. Good board construction and very solid casing completes the list. Even the built in DAC's are very usable.

Sure, all this means very little if it doesnt sound good but it certainly does! Format wise, it is not up to date with newer products, naturally but for two channel audio, this receiver and others of its kind if chosen carefully, must rank as the bargains of hifi. You will not get anywhere near as much with hifi components.

This just underlines my belief that anyone in the market for a good two channel amplifier should not dismiss the better AV receivers available. They really do offer a lot for the money. The more expensive ones will offer better build and components and sound. If you are not bothered about multi channel you can pick up a model a few years old at a fraction of the original price.

regards

regards

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I had to call in some goods for unpaid work and have had a Sony AV Receiver here for the last few days testing prior to selling. Whilst I knew that AV can be very good value for money compared to traditional hifi products I am truly impressed. This receiver is a few years old. Having googled at innards of more recent products from Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha etc it would be fair to say that you'd probably look at £1000 plus to find anything comparable component wise. The thing is full (!) of Nichicon fine Gold stuff and other 'boutique' parts, including unusually large regulation caps and quality internal speaker terminal wiring to the board, an alps volume pot surrounded by more Nichicon Gold. - It makes the average hifi amplifier look like a poor relative. Good board construction and very solid casing completes the list. Even the built in DAC's are very usable. Sure, all this means very little if it doesnt sound good but it certainly does! Format wise, it is not up to date with newer products, naturally but for two channel audio, this receiver and others of its kind if chosen carefully, must rank as the bargains of hifi. You will not get anywhere near as much with hifi components. This just underlines my belief that anyone in the market for a good two channel amplifier should not dismiss the better AV receivers available. They really do offer a lot for the money. The more expensive ones will offer better build and components and sound. If you are not bothered about multi channel you can pick up a model a few years old at a fraction of the original price. regards regards

Out of pure interest - which AV amp is it ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sony STR DB-930

Soon to appear on flea bay once I've stopped playing with it.

Fantastic bit of equipment. Absolutely bomb proof build and heavy power supply unlike newer/cheaper AV receivers. Apparently better built than ES Sonys of later years ...

Think about it, you can pick one of these up in mint condition for under a hundred quid. People spend that much on the much (imo) over rated Pioneer A400's or even the old NAD 3020's. How very sad.

Difficult to make direct comparisons (its been a while since I've listened extensively to a variety of systems and memory is short) but I'd put it equal to say the midrange audio amplifiers of Arcam, the like of the A28 or a Rega Mira albeith with a lot more power. - Its not quite a cyrus 8v2 which I had but not far off either.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To give a bit more food for thought ... there's a thread about the Accuphase E250 on the same page here.

Now I'm not saying they will sound the same (though they might do ... what do I know ) but google the pictures and specs. This Sony (or other, high spec, well built AV receivers) would not have to be embarrassed in comparison with either build or specs even if not quite up to the same standards.

One costs a lot, the other peanuts

regards

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think most people just go by what others say. I would say most have not had a listen to an av amp recently. They just go by what others say.. Av amps are not good for music.. generally speaking yes. But when u do some looking around you get to see some av amps that do really good job wth 2 channel music.

I have compared so many 2 channel amps wth av amps & most of the time you have to really struggle to noctice the difference.

Die hard audiophiles will always agure about this.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Since coming here I have argued that AV amps are far more capable than many on these pages would have you believe. In recent times I've found that a not too expensive (£500 new) reciever will give £700 pound amps today a jolly good run, in fact in terms of stereo reproduction the reciever wins hands down with regards "natural sounding" music.

It'll lose in a head to head demo, but in the real world its another story.

Saying that, not sure if anyone is familiar with my equ history I've just put my Rotel ra-1520 back on stereo duty's may leave it on for the next few months, Permetheous is the reason....darn that Ridgly Scott, now testing the old Yamaha ax-620 with the KEF 1005.1 which has been sitting around for too long.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I demoed a creek destiny 2 amp about £1675.00 against Marantz new av amp Sr7007 £1300.00 & even the guys at the shop could not pull the performance apart. This was tested with kef speakers cost about 2 grand. Thats how far they have come.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts