AV Receiver with Sky+ HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have recently started putting together my AV kit and am considering which Receiver would be best. I am considering the Sony 4200ES or posibly the 820 but read somewhere that the 4200 needed some updating to be compatible with Sky+ HD which I have.

Does this mean the 820 would not be compatible?

In a nutshell I would like the Panasonic BMD35, Sky+ HD and an AV receiver with initially a pair of Dali Lektor 2s or B&W 680s. I would also use the system to listen to audio so it will need to be 'musical'.

Any thoughts/responses from the AV experts would be appreciated as I am new to the AV world.

I already have my Panasonic 37" PZ81 and Sky+HD and have a budget of £800 for the BD player, receiver and speakers.

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'm assuming you're referring to the Sony STR-DA2400ES and STR-DG820. It's true, there was an incompatibility issue with Sky+ HD at first, but this has now been fixed on both models so either will work fine with your Sky box.

Both units are surprisingly musical for an AV receiver and would make a good choice for your system. You say initially you'll start with a pair of Dalis or B&Ws, but presumably you'll upgrade to a full 5.1 package? Not much point in having a multichannel receiver otherwise!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy

Not greatly in love with idea of 5.1, too many speakers and wires etc although wouldn't rule it out entirely.

If I stuck with just two speakers what amp would you recommend instead?

Cheers

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, if you're going to the trouble of getting a Blu-ray player and Sky+ HD, I'd still urge you to go for 5.1. After all, you won't fully appreciate the jump in sound quality on Blu-ray discs or benefit from the multichannel broadcasts on Sky+ HD unless you have full surround sound. Seems a bit of a waste to stick to stereo (although I know one or two colleagues in the office who might disagree with me!).

A

Anonymous

Yep, I wouldn't upgrade to a BD player if I didn't utilise the surround sound.

R

TRENDING THREADS