av receiver or media pc for upscaling?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dont know if this is in the correct section or not?

Basically I have a media pc that I watch tv from (freesat and freeview - HD and SD )

If I set my media centre resolution to 1080p, then will this be better than using an av receivers upscaling capability, or would I be better of setting a lower resolution on the media pc and letting the av receiver do the upscaling?

Media pc will be connected to the av receiver via hdmi and tv to the av receiver.

Thanks for any replies

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Try both over a couple of months to see which you prefer. Its also partially dependent on what tv you have. Obviously the class of its scaler but also its pixel count. If 1080 then the media box will probably scale better (Not definite though). If lower then the tv probably will as it will be being scaled twice otherwise (Again ~ not definite)

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply, I havent actually got the av receiver yet (suppose the answer to this question will help me decided between faroudia or reon), I also havent yet got the tv (decided on the LG 60PS8000 after seeing it in the flesh the other day running both sd and hd content).

I have an av receiver at present but its an old sony 6.1 that wont accept the hdmi input from my media pc. The tv will have all processing switched off, so it will be done at source or via the av receiver. I am thinking maybe the media pc may be best as I can set everything upto high quality, then get a receiver that does pass through just processing the sound, if thats the case then I suppose something like a Sony 2400 would do the job at a cheap price as well?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jaytc2003:
thanks for the reply, I havent actually got the av receiver yet (suppose the answer to this question will help me decided between faroudia or reon), I also havent yet got the tv (decided on the LG 60PS8000 after seeing it in the flesh the other day running both sd and hd content).

I have an av receiver at present but its an old sony 6.1 that wont accept the hdmi input from my media pc. The tv will have all processing switched off, so it will be done at source or via the av receiver. I am thinking maybe the media pc may be best as I can set everything upto high quality, then get a receiver that does pass through just processing the sound, if thats the case then I suppose something like a Sony 2400 would do the job at a cheap price as well?

One thing to note is that unless you splash out quite a lot, your AV receiver will probably not upscale the hdmi feed. Most receivers under £1k upscale analogue feeds to 1080p but not hdmi. So, in essence, your media pc (if that upscales hdmi) will have the edge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts