AV Amplifier Upgrade, Advice Needed

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
My current amplifer, a Yamaha A3080, is still going strong (apart from a temperamental input selector, which is a common 'feature' of this model so I understand), but it cannot decode HD sound formats, nor accept 5 channel input from a Blu-ray player. So I am thinking of upgrading it.

My question is, how much will I have to spend? The A3080 was, I believe, the first Dolby Digital equipped amplifier launched in the UK, and cost me around £1600 about 13-14 years ago. Are current amplifiers at half the price likely to be the equivalent, in terms of sound quality?

The A3080 is rated at 80 watts per channel, and drives the floor standing Kef Reference One's with no problems. My room is fairly small, approx 14x12 feet, and the volume control has never been near the halfway stage, and it sounds pretty loud!

Would something like the Yamaha AX863 (if I could find one!) be suitable? Or the Sony DA2400?

Or should I go up to around £1000, for example the Yamaha RX-V1900/Onkyo SR876/Marantz SR7002/Pioneer LX70?

Or to the £1500 mark (Yamaha RX-V3900/Onkyo NR906/Pioneer LX81) etc?

The amp will be used mostly for movies and games.

It will be impossible to hear these amps with my speakers (and I don't drive), as although there is one shop who are Yamaha/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer dealers there do not sell Kef, nor do home demonstratons.

Obviously, I would like to spend less rather than more, but any and all comments and observations will be welcomed.

Thank you

emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive never heard yours, so not entirely sure. But id hazard a guess that even a 500 quid one would properly outperform your current amp due to the year on year gain in technology.

To put it in a sort of perspective ~ I bought a pioneer dvd player which was I believe the very first to offer upscaling via hdmi and it was a grand to buy new about 4 or 5 years ago.

I bought a pioneer lx50 off ebay in december for 230 quid (500 quid when new) and it blows the old pioneer away in EVERY way. Sound effects in particular are fantastic compared to the old one (My dad also has the exact same story)

Id try to borrow an amp from a dealer if I were you to compare normal dolby digital to get an idea.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I am not familiar with your existing amp but judging by its age a modern day amp should easily outperform it in terms of power. It all depends on how good you want it to be as the pre-amp stage makes all the difference.

I would suggest that with your speakers the amps around the £1000 mark will be a good starting point. For AV and games the Onkyo would be an excellent choice, bringing music into it look at the Yamaha and Marantz also. I am sure a home demo shouldn't be too hard to sort, if you are stuck we are happy to help.

I dont want to overstep the trading rules so mods please delete if required.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS