AV Amp mistake today?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Today I bought Sony STR-DG820 plus good quality HDMI and optical cable for £280 from local Sony centre. On the face of it comparable deal to best on web with discount on the cables. However, I now think I have made a mistake.

I was uncertain whether to go for the Sony or the Yam DSPAX763. In the end the price and connectivity tipped the balance. I then came on here to see about getting the Jamo A102HCS5's to complete the system. It was then, I started to realise that most people think the Yam is the better AMP, the Sony the better 'connected'. I want the best sound and so I think I have made the wrong choice....what do you guys think?

At the moment I have Sony KDL 40W4500, and Sony Blue Ray BDP-S350. I also have a Sony DVD Recorder.

CABLES: The guy at the Sony centre said I needed:-

1 HDMI IN from DVD Recorder, 1 HDMI IN Blue Ray, 1 HDMI OUT to TV and 1 OPTICAL OUT to TV. Is this right?

If so, I guess that is my fill for HDMI! What if I wanted to add SKY HD or a games console in the future?

I must admit I am thinking of taking the Sony back tomorrow and getting the Yam.....thoughts... HELP!

Mark

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Indeed the Yamaha is overall a better amplifier than the Sony bearing in mind it is also in the next category up from the Sony. You may also remember that the Yamaha originally had a price tag of £500!

That's not to say the Sony will disapoint but seen as the price difference between the two has shrunk in recent weeks most people would recommend the Yamaha.

You do have four HDMI ins on the Sony so connectivity won't be a problem. With the Yamaha you just have to work around the two ins. Example, for SkyHD you could route the HDMI direct to the TV and connect an optical/coaxial cable from the SkyHD to the AV for sound.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the feedback!

So, I guess you agree with the cable route I quoted from the Sony guy? If so, what extra HDMI would you possibly need in the future? Is it just Games consoles, SKY HD and perhaps a future Blue Ray Recorder? Anything else?

It seems the Yamaha has a vote on its side!

Once again many thanks. I need some responses to help me make a godam decision!!!

Mark

A

Anonymous

Mark, I'm a little confused regarding the problem. If memory serves me right, your Sony has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output, the Yam has 2 HDMI in and 1 out, so your Sony has twice the HDMi inputs than the Yam.
Are you using the DVD recording to record Sky or do you also want to play DVD's on it? (you could always play DVD's on the Blueray player if you want to free up an HDMI input)

Assuming you want to play DVD's on your DVD recorder
HDMI in:
1. Sky
2. Blueray Player
3. DVD recorder (where are you getting you sky signal from if this what you record?)
4. Games Console
HDMI out:
1. TV

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Not sure about a DVD recorder (never owned one) but if you are recording anything to it then surely it needs an 'in' connection as well as an 'out' to the AV.

I would always connect the SkyHD as I explained cause that way you can either listen to the TV speakers or the speakers connected to the AV. Its easier on the ears listening to tv sound when watching normal tv (sky carries stereo sound through hdmi) But for movies I just boot up the AV.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for confusion guys. I do not currently have SKY. I was just considering what the use of an extra 2 HMDI connects would give me over the Yam! Sorry....

It appears to me that if I want the best sounds from one of the amps its the Yamaha. I can live with the 2 HDMI at the moment as that is all I need for my Blue Ray and DVDR. The HMDI and optical can go out to the TV.

I think I will be paying Mr Sony a visit tomorrow.....now how do I go about saying I changed my mind.....

Once again thanks folks.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Yes, on the HDMI inputs it is worth remembering that you only really need an HDMI input on the amp if you want the sound to go into your receiver via that route.

Other than that it's just a convenient switchbox to augment the HDMI input on the TV. As long as you've go enough inputs for audio on the amp, and enough inputs on amp and TV combined for video you are OK.

At the moment nothing sends high-def audio via HDMI except a BlueRay player. Though you can send standard def audio via HDMI, you can also bang it through an optical or coax lead, with no detriment in quality, and amps usually have about 5 or so of those inputs

TRENDING THREADS