AUX Streaming quality

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I am wondering, while streaming audio from laptop/mobile phone connected to AUX IN of the amplifier, the audio will be transferred with it highest quality possible?

For example can it handle Masters/CD quality streamed from Tidal? Or there will be some limit?

Thank you in advance for the tips :)

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
If you use that method to connect to your amp, you will be using the digital to analogue chip in your laptop/mobile. Therefore the limiting factor is the quality of components in those devices.

It looks like you have already been given similar advice in another thread.

- if your amp has digital inputs then

a) check your laptop model to see if it has an optical digital output (often these are ‘hidden’ in a combined optical and RCA output. If your laptop has one, you can connect directly to your amp’s digital inputs

b) if not, you would need a converter device to get the equivalent effect. You would be looking for a ‘USB to coaxial/optical audio converter’ in order to connect your laptop to your amp’s digital inputs

- if your amp doesn’t have digital inputs then you need a DAC. This would connect to your laptop’s USB port and convert the audio to analogue to allow you to connect to your amp’s line/RCA inputs.

Reactions: purplerain0330

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
If you use that method to connect to your amp, you will be using the digital to analogue chip in your laptop/mobile. Therefore the limiting factor is the quality of components in those devices.

It looks like you have already been given similar advice in another thread.

- if your amp has digital inputs then

a) check your laptop model to see if it has an optical digital output (often these are ‘hidden’ in a combined optical and RCA output. If your laptop has one, you can connect directly to your amp’s digital inputs

b) if not, you would need a converter device to get the equivalent effect. You would be looking for a ‘USB to coaxial/optical audio converter’ in order to connect your laptop to your amp’s digital inputs

- if your amp doesn’t have digital inputs then you need a DAC. This would connect to your laptop’s USB port and convert the audio to analogue to allow you to connect to your amp’s line/RCA inputs.

Hello and thank you for your detailed response.

Before I was asking exactly about the DAC options, however now I am not sure regarding the analog channel quality, avoiding any separate or built in DAC.

My question is pretty simple - what is the limit (if there is) for AUX IN streaming? Will it depend only on my laptop audio in limits? Or the channel itself can not handle hi-res files. Hope it is more clear now.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
The RCA cable doesn't carry a high res file, it will carry an analogue signal sent from your laptop.

Therefore the processing of the high res digital file/source will be taking place in your laptop. Your laptop's soundcard will be the limiting factor.

Often laptops don't have very good soundcards so you probably won't get the best sound output with your current method.

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Now it crystal clear! Thank you for clarification!

So all digital/analog conversion depends only on the DAC, that is actually already in my sound card. I also have an external sound card with a better quality than built in, so I guess it will be a good idea to use it for that purposes and later on just to purchase an external DAC for the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts