Auralic aries mini questions.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

Some noob questions:

if i want to use the dac in my amplifier and not the one in the streamer, do i have to use usb or coax? And which one of these 2 would you recommend for best sound quality? What is dsd over pcm?

And what does software volume control mean, and do i need it?

And what is dac delay?

The auralic mini does not have an actual online manual, so i hope some other auralic user see this. Best Christian

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Hi guys. 

Some noob questions:

if i want to use the dac in my amplifier and not the one in the streamer, do i have to use usb or coax? And which one of these 2 would you recommend for best sound quality? What is dsd over pcm?

And what is dac delay?

The auralic mini does not have an actual online manual, so i hope some other auralic user see this. Best Christian

So if you want to bypass the dac in the mini use the digital out to the dac in your amp.

Dsd is direct stream digital and its a digital downlad or way to store sacd resolution music files.

Pcm is pulse code modulation and is just a way to tranform waveform into digital audio signals

Software volume control:
The mini does not have a volume control built on but has a volume on the playback software app and thats where you adjust the volume.

Andrewjvt said:
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

Some noob questions:

And what is dac delay?

So if you want to bypass the dac in the mini use the digital out to the dac in your amp.

Dsd is direct stream digital and its a digital downlad or way to store sacd resolution music files.

Pcm is pulse code modulation and is just a way to tranform waveform into digital audio signals

Software volume control: The mini does not have a volume control built on but has a volume on the playback software app and thats where you adjust the volume.

Quite right, although the definition of DSD needs firming up. Most of what the OP needs to know could be found with a quick Google search.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Thx andrew. 

I have heard it is best to avoid and turn off the volume control?

If you bypass the dac in the mini and just send the files to the amp/dac then you will use the volume on the amp. However you still need to use an app to select songs etc so can just leave volume on full etc.

Its the same fot me using jriver on laptop. I just leave jriver on full setting.

Btw the mini is a good choice of streamer. Id def get one for my ser up and install a ssd.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
My understanding was that the DAC in the Aries mini was very good in its own right. I think you'd need a pretty high-end system to hear any benefits over the mini's own DAC.

For that reason it offers quite a good solution for those who have an amp with no digital inputs.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree Andrew, it seems very good.

So if i use a usb cable from mini to amplifier, then i am using the amplifiers dac right? Just to make sure?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Chr78 said:
I agree Andrew, it seems very good. 

So if i use a usb cable from mini to amplifier, then i am using the amplifiers dac right? Just to make sure?

On the auralic mini, the usb is an input not an output. So if you use the usb then you will use the dac in the mini and connect to the amp via analog rca and bypass your dac.

Use the co-axial digital output to your amp and that will work how you want it.

Tell me what amp/dac you are using so i can look at the connections on the rear to make sure for you.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
980008535_rel-aries-mini-back.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Judging by that diagram it does have usb out to dac so yes you can.

Ignore my 2nd last post as i thought it bever had a usb out also.

This is a big plus for the mini.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Chr78 said:
So if i will use the usb dac output on the mini, i will use the dac in my amp?

Yes usb output will yes correct

That auralic mini imo is the best value streamer available.
Best value for money also

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts