Auditioned MF M3I today, thank you all

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After taking advice from the forum members , I decided to do a demo before making the purchase on a new amplifier. I have a musical fidelity e10 amp which is almost 20 years old so I wanted to upgrade my amp, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a new amp and new pair of speakers . I like the sound of MF amp so decided to buy the m3i but wasn't quite sure how much better the new amp woud sound or is it going to be worth spending a grand on. This is where this forum came to my rescue. Toyota man advised me to demo the new amp and also take my old amp to hear the difference and I did exactly that today. I selected 8 tracks from 5 different cds, they had the amp connected with roksan caspian cd player and kef ls50. First impressions, not very good. There was no wow at all, only 2 tracks sounded somewhat impressive. then we switched to my old amp and almost straight away I could tell that the e10 is a better sounding amp than m3i. I think the vocal sounded particularly well on e10 and overall sound was more musical on e10. Only better point to note on m3i was that it had more power.

So, atleast for now, I have decided to stick to my old amp. In terms of speakers I not going to buy anything without doing proper demos.

Hi aniskg

Now please also try and have a listen to ATC's SCM11 monitors with your E10 amplifier
smiley-smile.gif

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/budget-%C2%A31300-1500-amplifier-and-a-pair-of-bookshelves-suggestions-please?page=1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

aniskg said:
After taking advice from the forum members , I decided to do a demo before making the purchase on a new amplifier. I have a musical fidelity e10 amp which is almost 20 years old so I wanted to upgrade my amp, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a new amp and new pair of speakers . I like the sound of MF amp so decided to buy the m3i but wasn't quite sure how much better the new amp woud sound or is it going to be worth spending a grand on. This is where this forum came to my rescue. Toyota man advised me to demo the new amp and also take my old amp to hear the difference and I did exactly that today. I selected 8 tracks from 5 different cds, they had the amp connected with roksan caspian cd player and kef ls50. First impressions, not very good. There was no wow at all, only 2 tracks sounded somewhat impressive. then we switched to my old amp and almost straight away I could tell that the e10 is a better sounding amp than m3i. I think the vocal sounded particularly well on e10 and overall sound was more musical on e10. Only better point to note on m3i was that it had more power.

So, atleast for now, I have decided to stick to my old amp. In terms of speakers I not going to buy anything without doing proper demos.

At least you know the sound that grabs you. Most brands when they evolve, can have an impact on overall SQ, hence why most of us encourage a dem to discover if it hits the mark or not.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of it is to do with the sound you are used to, when I upgraded years ago it took some time to get used to the "new" sound, thats why when demoing I would recommend hearing items several times or even at home if possible. Yes sometimes you are immediately won over by a sound but not always. Just like music the instant hits soon lose interest while others really grow on you. Just my 2p worths.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

I am afraid ATC's are way beyond my budget. I have booked a demo next Tuesday in Birmingham superfi shop for 685 and cm1. Having spoken to a couple of dealers, based on my current set up , they recommended the cm1. Reason I am also demoing 685 is because I was told that 685 is the equivalent of dm601 so it saves me from taking my speakers with me.

BTW those kef ls50 were a big disappointment, even though, I was auditioning the amp but having read so much about them I was also keen to see how they performed. On a couple of relatively fast sounding tracks both I and my brother, who is also a professional percussionist, just couldn't hear all the beats .

In terms of cm1, do they have to be positioned far from the back wall? My room is not very big I can only manage about 8 inch???

Hi aniskg

Fair enough although i recommended SCM11 monitors because if you carried on with your E10 amplifier (as i suggested in the other thread) then SCM11 monitors would still be within your £1500 budget, their closed box design and importantly flat and honest presentation makes it easier to place SCM11's close to walls without the bass getting itself into a twist and that SCM11's will have also given you a worthwhile return on your investment.

Fwiw, overall i would use DM601's over 685's or CM1's anyday

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Fwiw, overall i would use DM601's over 685's or CM1's anyday

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Really Rick? So you are saying the speakers making technology hasn't evolved in last 20 years?(i know that's the case with my amp) Even with the CM series?

What other speakers would you recommend I demo within £500-600 budget?

Because I didn't buy the amp my wife have booked a holiday with that money, I was told we are going to santorini in April with our 18 months old daughter, silly woman!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts