Audiophile Audiophoolery - one for the cable sceptics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
BigAir:

If someone hears a difference it is real to them - and in actuality - it's just as real as the person who doesn't hear a difference.

Very very good post, I think the problem is with the sceptics! for some reason they do like to point out that cables can't make any different in every possible occasions and hell don't they like to shout! It's like some kind of mission that if they can convert one or two hifi lovers to use the freebies, red and white interconnects, then they will go to heaven.

BTW, it would be interest to see if any cables sceptics are using the freebies interconnects in their main system!

idc

Thaiman:BigAir:

If someone hears a difference it is real to them - and in actuality - it's just as real as the person who doesn't hear a difference.

Very very good post.....

x2, an excellent point.

A

Anonymous

idc:Thaiman:BigAir:

Very very good post.....

x2, an excellent point.

if this is true then theres no point in arguing so shall we all stop now

mind you it also justifies those who think all hifi sounds the same

idc

one off:.........if this is true then theres no point in arguing so shall we all stop now

What, and stop the fun and games and a major reason for this and all forums from exisiting? I wish to argue against your request to stop arguing.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
one off:idc:Thaiman:BigAir:

Very very good post.....

x2, an excellent point.

if this is true then theres no point in arguing so shall we all stop now

Yes, please but I doubt if that ever going to be possible.

Life outside hifi forum is hard enough why would anyone want to argue on the hobby that make us happy?

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:BigAir:

Very very good post, I think the problem is with the sceptics! for some reason they do like to point out that cables can't make any different in every possible occasions and hell don't they like to shout! It's like some kind of mission that if they can convert one or two hifi lovers to use the freebies, red and white interconnects, then they will go to heaven.

BTW, it would be interest to see if any cables sceptics are using the freebies interconnects in their main system!

I use the free cables supplied with my ADM 9.1's. That includes the power cords and the free interconnect. The only bought in cable was the cheapest and shortest optical cable from Maplins. The system sounds great, and I have no desire at all to change the cables.

When I had my Cyrus kit, I used the free power cords. I did try the interconnects out of the box. I ended up using Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects, which sounded no different to the free ones supplied, but were of a better construction quality. Through the reviews in What Hi Fi, I wasted £45 each on two Chord Crimson interconnects that made no difference whatsoever.

When I connected my Pure Evoke Flow through the Cyrus amp, I tried both a £2.99 interconnect and a much more expensive one - a Profigold. Again, no difference except the cheap one had better fitting connectors.

For speaker cables, I tried a variety of cables including ProAc's own, bell wire, Gales from Richer Sounds, Van Damme Home and Studio Blue, QED Silver Anniversary etc. I finally settled on the Van Damme Studio Blue 6mm. Under normal circumstances, I would consider all the money I spent on these cables utterly wasted. Except it taught me that the whole cable thing is a complete rip-off. As long as the cable is well constructed, and of sufficient thickness for the length required, it will do the job.

Prior to this I owned a Teac ref 300, and used all the cables out of the box. Great sounding kit. Standard Richer Sounds copper cables to the speakers. I re-used these cables some time later to connect my Cyrus kit to my ProAcs, just to check how they sounded for an hour. Sounded the same as any other speaker cables I'd connected. And why would they sound different?

I can also recommend the Roger Russell article - good, intelligent reading. A quick look at the Blue Jeans website is also a good read.

A

Anonymous

Jaxwired -- your first reply to Fahnsen was the most perfect response I have seen! Congratulations! The gold-plated plastic knob is in the post.

Since my earlier attempt to hijack the Thread failed, I'm off to start one even more important now.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough. I'm not what you'd call gullible but I have cables here (interconnects, as I have used the same ultra thick copper speaker cable for years) which are, literally, night and day. I'd challenge anybody to sit down for a few seconds and not hearing the difference ...

It's difficult to say one is 'better' than the others. Really depends what system they're used in but different they certainly are.

drummerman:

Fair enough. I'm not what you'd call gullible but I have cables here (interconnects, as I have used the same ultra thick copper speaker cable for years) which are, literally, night and day. I'd challenge anybody to sit down for a few seconds and not hearing the difference ...

It's difficult to say one is 'better' than the others. Really depends what system they're used in but different they certainly are.

Concur, DM - cables are as important as any other component. Though I don't go OTT with cables, fairly significant changes are made by tweaking or upgrading cables or leads. If you have a bright system, generally use copper leads. if your kit is fairly restrained then silver ones are usually better (this is a rough rule of thumb scenario).

A

Anonymous

idc:
one off:.........if this is true then theres no point in arguing so shall we all stop now

What, and stop the fun and games and a major reason for this and all forums from exisiting? I wish to argue against your request to stop arguing.

Now that made me chuckle .....

A

Anonymous

it has been interesting reading the posts and different opinons ... I too hear differences in cables ... it becomes easy when you have several to test and not just 2 ... (I have a box full of used cables which I have bought off ebay)

here is a report on a 'blind' test done with people 'off the street '

Actually, here isn't: please read the House Rules - MODS

... test was conducted by seven oaks ... (all reviews on cables should be done this way IMHO) ... not necessary with 'people off the street' , but should be tested 'blind'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts