Audiolab M-Dac to replace my dacmagic1...worth while?

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Im considering purchasing an Audiolab M-Dac, by all accounts a fantastic piece of kit, with upgrade routes.

Currently im running an audio pc for digital and a philips cd723 as a cd transport over SPDIF to a modded Dacmagic 1 (replaced all signal path caps and psu caps with high quality audio caps, replaced connectors, installed gold plated 8 pin sockets for op amp swapping) to an Audiolab 8000s to a set of refurbed 104/2's.

Anyone taken a similar upgrade route, ie from a Cambridge audio Dacmagic to an M-Dac and if so what were the results? Worth the cash?

I was also considering swapping my old reliable cd723 for a marantz cd6005, but as im only using the transport of the 723, im not sure if id be wasting my cash.

Any relevant experience would be good to hear about.

Many thanks

Can't answer directly, but did have the original DacMagic for a while - using my Arcam as transport - and found it immensely detailed, so much so it was clinical in the extreme.

Not heard the M-Dac... reviews suggest it has an upfront presentation. The only real way to know is to hear one for yourself.

By contrast, I did have Rega Dac on home dem and found that to have a more realistic presentation, but didn't have the alround game for my system. As a consequence, I purchased a Naim CD5i.

I suppose, what I'm saying is audition is a must. If you can't do this then purchase from a dealer with a returns policy -- your back's covered, just in case...

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I live near Falkirk, Scotland. and would be interested in a home demo of the M-Dac and Marantz 6005, as im running a set of 104/2's a shop demo is impossible.

Anyone know of any hifi shops nearby (Edinburgh/Glasgow etc) That do home demo's of kit?

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Kefref said:
I live near Falkirk, Scotland. and would be interested in a home demo of the M-Dac and Marantz 6005, as im running a set of 104/2's a shop demo is impossible.

Anyone know of any hifi shops nearby (Edinburgh/Glasgow etc) That do home demo's of kit?

The only Audiolab dealers in Scotland (as far as I am aware) is Hi-Fi Corner, they have a shop in Falkirk which is well stocked. I've bought lots of bits from them over the years, they always price match and have good demo facilities - also very none pushy, cant recommend them enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts