Audiolab M-DAC stock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"This warranty is valid only in the country of purchase, applies only to the first purchaser and is not transferable"

As I said earlier, some manufacturers will have different views on this. Obviously the manufacturer is in the position to make exceptions to it's own warranty terms, as Naim Audio did, mentioned in a previous post.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But surely the retailer can play a part in this.

This is directed at FrankHarveyHiFi but other retailers can voice an opinion also. Manufacturers warranties aside, if you purchase goods from a shop it has to last a reasonable amount of time under the consumer act. Now if the original purchaser sells the unit on and the second owner returns to your shop would you refuse to rectify the unit even if was under 2 years old ?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
psurquhart said:
FrankHarvey HiFi please also note - I would welcome your knowledge too. And if Prof Hat is reading - yours too. in fact the more the merrier from all of you forum posters please.

What is it you're wanting to know?

Would it be possible to go to the dac section and have a look at my dilema on the "taking the plunge" post if possible please? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

As long as the product has been used in accordance with the manufacter recommendations they can't refuse warranty work. They can ask you to provide proof of purchase or a warranty registration certificate.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Larry said:
Well, it don´t sound like Frankie is providing that service, if you read between the lines.

Presuming a lot there. I'm merely stating what is said in this particular manufacturer's terms and conditions, as it is with most manufacturers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Presuming a lot there. I'm merely stating what is said in this particular manufacturer's terms and conditions, as it is with most manufacturers.
But under consumer law it has to last a reasonable amount of time, for an M-DAC this would be a minimum of 2 years, but this falls to the responsibility of the retailer and not the manufacturer. So what would your stance be as a retailer if the unit had been sold on and the new owner had proof of purchase etc. ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
John Duncan said:
Could making warranties non-transferable be classed as a bit miserable?

You'd have to take that up with manufacturers :)

But my contract is with the dealer...;-)

Unfortunately I can't go into the reasoning of their warranty terms, you'd have to take it up with the manufacturer about the wording of their warranty.

I'm bowing out of this one now because as usual, I give info, then get dragged into a conversation making me look bad. I'm merely providing info.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
John Duncan said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
John Duncan said:
Could making warranties non-transferable be classed as a bit miserable?

You'd have to take that up with manufacturers :)

But my contract is with the dealer...;-)

Unfortunately I can't go into the reasoning of their warranty terms, you'd have to take it up with the manufacturer about the wording of their warranty.

I'm bowing out of this one now because as usual, I give info, then get dragged into a conversation making me look bad. I'm merely providing info.
'' SHAFT ! John shaft ..... hush,shut your mouth'' :rofl:

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Musicraft. Although that's not to say this is the only retailer with stock, just the only one who let us know it has.

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I've just put down a deposit with Musicraft for a black MDAC and hope the wait isn't too long. I think this is the only hifi product that I haven't demo'd and just gone with your review and everyone else's ears, gulp.

I just hope I haven't bought the emperor's new clothes... :shifty:

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
But surely the retailer can play a part in this.

This is directed at FrankHarveyHiFi but other retailers can voice an opinion also. Manufacturers warranties aside, if you purchase goods from a shop it has to last a reasonable amount of time under the consumer act. Now if the original purchaser sells the unit on and the second owner returns to your shop would you refuse to rectify the unit even if was under 2 years old ?

A warranty is an agreement between the consumer and the manufacturer, the sale is a contract is between the consumer and retailer. Sale of goods act and all that, applies to the consumer/retailer relationship.

So the manufacturer can make up any warranty conditions they like, and it seems quite reasonable they would restrict it to the original purchaser, which is who the retailer has a contract with. A warranty is worth as much as the manufacturer's word, now a guarantee is better but please dont get me started on that one.

If a second owner took a < 2 years old unit back to the shop would I refuse the rectify the work? I surely would, since they are not the person I had the contract of sale with and I owe them nothing.

The original purchaser might take a unit back to the shop that is > 2 years old and expect it to be repaired if it can be shown it has not lasted a reasonable length of time, that's a grey area and I wouldn't hold my breath in that case.

(I don't own a shop by the way)

A

Anonymous

Dr Lodge said:
If a second owner took a < 2 years old unit back to the shop would I refuse the rectify the work? I surely would, since they are not the person I had the contract of sale with and I owe them nothing.

Im sure the customer would appreciate that and shop elsewhere

Dr Lodge said:
(I don't own a shop by the way)

probably quite fortunate!

A

Anonymous

matthaskell said:
Im sure the customer would appreciate that and shop elsewhere

I don't understand what point you are trying to make, since the customer won't know any different as he sold the product on in this case! The shop only has a contract with the original purchaser, no one else. Subsequent owners cannot expect anything from the shop that originally sold the product.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Andrew. I've just put down a deposit with Musicraft for a black MDAC and hope the wait isn't too long. I think this is the only hifi product that I haven't demo'd and just gone with your review and everyone else's ears, gulp.

[/quote]

Well, if the Audiolab performs as well as the customer service from Musicraft then I'm in for a treat. Having only paid a small deposit last Friday I was given a call today by Rick to let me know the delivery ETA. It will be sooner rather than later so not long to wait now... :bounce:

Juzzie Wuzzie

Why don't we think about this warranty situation another way? Second-hand buyer could always look to the person s/he is buying from to warrant the goods for the unexpired portion of the manufacturers warranty. So the second-hand buyer would pursue the seller who would (under their warranty) pursue the manufacturer. Theoretical, as wouldn't work in practice.

A warranty is just a contract, and if that says it is personal to the first purchaser, so be it. If the warranty is important to you either a) read it before purchase or b) purchase new and don't take the implied discount for lack of warranty on the second hand goods.

TRENDING THREADS