Audiolab 8300XP power amp

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I cant find reviews to this anywhere. Has anyone heard this or found any reviews?

Also would it work well paired with an Audiolab 6000a set to pre amp mode?

alab-8300xp-sil_l_1.jpg.jpg

alab-8300xp-sil_l_5.jpg.jpg

Looks like a nice amp. I dont get why there are no reviews anywhere

If a demo version wasn't circulated by Audiolab for reviews then it's unlikely you'll see anything in the publications. Normally you'd see reviews of the pre amp / power amp pairing.
I feel sure it will work with the 6000a but, as I have said before simply using an integrated amp as a preamp isn't very logical. It was intended to be used with the 8300CDQ (CD / dac / preamp)

Reactions: Squall Leonhart

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Just revisiting this reply. These two quotes are part of one sentence and yet...
I feel sure it will work with the 6000a
If this is how you feel then that seems to point to the match being good. Both being Audiolab, and gain-matched at 29db. So far so good.

as I have said before simply using an integrated amp as a preamp isn't very logical.
And then you add this!? So it's not logical but it's good? The OP then comes away feeling that it's "not good enough" but that doesn't seem to be what you said. And if the OP was at a point in his journey that meant that he was still very happy with the Integrated but want to add a step up or..?

I've read similar replies, that you've made, in other threads about Integrated Amps with the suggestion of adding a Power Amp. You always seem to come down on the side of "If it isn't dedicated Pre/Power then don't bother". Fair enough, it's an opinion.

So, a question, for you: When not talking about "output power for the sake of pure loudness" (db), but more "powerful amplification for better control over the sound" (the same as you may get from, say, a Class A with a constant higher output to better control the various aspects of sound from properly driven and controlled speakers), would an Audiolab 6000A in Pre Mode, with an attached Audiolab 8300XP have better control (tighter, cleaner, punchier bass. expansive mids. more sibilant treble.. honestly, knock yourself out with your choice of adjectives here) over the speakers and as such better control over the sound (at whatever db you intend to listen at?

And don't forget that we are happy with the 6000A and its DAC and Inputs and how it sounds etc, so no glib comments about selling it and moving on please. I've read so many reviews of equipment and comments like "the integrated sounded really good, but when I added in a power amp.. oh boy! better this.. control that".

What I'm trying to get out of this is whether there's a sound reason for your answer OR it's just that you don't like the idea because it's not the pure, audiophile way?

Ha, get me, rambling on. I get the feeling that you have a wealth of knowledge. It'd be nice if you were to indulge me with a straight answer :¬)

My comments were nothing to do with matching or power they were purely based on economics. There is little point in paying good money on an integrated amplifier, in my opinion, if you are then going to purchase a power amp and use the integrated purely as a preamp. It's a bit like buying an amp with an inbuilt DAC that you have no intention of using.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
a bit like buying an amp with an inbuilt DAC that you have no intention of using
With specific regard to the Audiolab 6000A (manual easily viewable online) are you stating that, by using it as a PRE, the DAC is not available to use in an 6000A'PRE'/8300XP setup? The company supplied literature does not suggest this at all. I'm not trying to catch anybody out here. Just looking for a truthful, knowledgeable answer.

purely based on economics
So, money-centric. Ok. Yes, one could sell/trade-in an i-amp but, forgetting the likes of e-bay-you-pay-your-money-you-take-your-chance, going to a shop continues to be a major p.i.t.a.. No selling here. Just buying, regardless of your take on economics.

And this?

...When not talking about "output power for the sake of pure loudness" (db), but more "powerful amplification for better control over the sound" (the same as you may get from, say, a Class A with a constant higher output to better control the various aspects of sound from properly driven and controlled speakers), would an Audiolab 6000A in Pre Mode, with an attached Audiolab 8300XP have better control (tighter, cleaner, punchier bass. expansive mids. more sibilant treble.. honestly, knock yourself out with your choice of adjectives here) over the speakers and as such better control over the sound (at whatever db you intend to listen at?

Listening to the 6000A at, for instance, 40db, give a fairly decent idea about what the music is trying to convey. Turning up the volume to 55db (speaking volume) is enough to enhance that mightily. Speakers respond well to that bit of extra power and there's more (insert those adjectives again) control and better sound.

By upping the anti, from 50W (8 ohm, THD<1%) 2 X 75W (4 ohm, THD<1%) for the standalone Integrated, we add in the 8300XP rated at 140W (8ohm <1% THD), 230W (4ohm), should one expect the oft talked about "fabulous sound detail at lower volumes" that you get from other, more powerful (than the standalone 6000A) amplifiers at lower volume levels?

An example of this is when one visits a bricks&mortar shop and some powerful amp is sounding real nice and the volume is such that people can hold conversations without raising their voices. You know the scenario, surely? It's a regular experience found in many stores.

@12th Monkey , you "liked" the previous answer. Care to chip in? In fact, I'd welcome other people's input. Not picking on Al' at all. I'd hoped he would address some of this other stuff.

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Your post seemed unnecessarily combative to me (apologies if I misinterpret) and his response was reasonable. I like 'reasonable'!
That's the trouble with forums on the 'net. If we were all in a pub having this discussion then it'd be a bunch of mates having a laugh, roasting each other over the merits of each other's stance. I'm very old school; if I'm asking questions and trying to look for answers then nobody has any reason to suspect 'foul play' or 'trolling' unless I specifically start being directly mean. I shouldn't have to add smilies after ever sentence just to come across as 'nice'. I am nice. I'm a nice person.

You can take it as read that I'm looking for real answers here.

Cyrus, Music Fidelity, Arcam, Audiolab, and countless others all tout taking an i-amp and, turning off the power stage and adding a separate p-amp as a valid upgrade path. Either there are good benefits to this, as I'm trying to establish or these companies are talking nonsense purely for the sake of financial gain.

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Perhaps deliberately misreading what I say is getting more common these days. :)
Obviously the OP has understood what is meant.
Nice use of a smilie to indicate that you are a nice, well meaning guy but I really don't think that the OP got what he was asking for. And neither have I because there's a lot of dodging going on, and nothing in the way of factual answering.

Also would it work well paired with an Audiolab 6000a set to pre amp mode?

using an integrated amp as a preamp isn't very logical.

I had a feeling the 6000a wouldnt be good enough.

There's no deliberate misunderstanding here. He asked a question (and I've simply tried to expanded on that but have not gotten a clear answer either). You replied that "it isn't very logical". Well, just like Kirk would say to Spock, what's logic got to do with it when we're talking about human feelings? @Squall Leonhart came away with the feeling that it wasn't good enough, but not good enough for what, logic? That makes no sense.

The Audiolab 6000A has a reputation for being an outstanding i-amp from retailers and the buying public. There's no benefit whatsoever to adding the 8300XP?

And there's still no answer to any of my questions. I'm starting to think that non of you have the capacity to give me a straight answer.

edit: didn't like my smilie being there. it served no purpose. Also, the third to last sentence /question needed clarification

Last edited:

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
There's no hijacking here. I stayed 'on topic' and 'relevant'. You know, you could have tried to be helpful at any point here. Instead, you hide behind this response?

Poor show. Shame on you.

Your manner really isn't helping. As a newcomer, the onus is on you to assess the lie of the land, rather than throw your weight around from the off.

Adding a power amp to an integrated and switching the power section off on the latter might give some gains, but they won't be anything like as much as adding a dedicated pre-amp in a similar price band as much of the integrated's budget goes on the power section. This is why most power amps have a dedicated pre in the same range.

So far, so simply logical, but it's also my experience - I did run an integrated in the manner described, and moved on to dedicated preamps- I didn't realise how much I was missing. Beyond that, go and listen if it's your own hard-earned at stake...

microwavemeal

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Your post seemed unnecessarily combative to me (apologies if I misinterpret)
I have already address your concerns. There are no 'bad guys' here.

Your manner really isn't helping. As a newcomer, the onus is on you to assess the lie of the land, rather than throw your weight around from the off.
Spending time reading, searching for answers, re-wording questions so as to convey a better understanding of what is meant; this isn't even close to throwing my weight around. You said it yourself, I'm new to this forum. I have no 'weight'.

What is apparent is the baggage that other forum members bring to the table. I'm just here asking questions but until now...

I have to say, no word of a lie and without a hint of sarcasm, thank you ever so much for attempting an honest reply. It doesn't address nearly anywhere near the questions that I've asked but it is a start.

Thank you @12th Monkey .

I have already address your concerns. There are no 'bad guys' here.

Spending time reading, searching for answers, re-wording questions so as to convey a better understanding of what is meant; this isn't even close to throwing my weight around. You said it yourself, I'm new to this forum. I have no 'weight'.

What is apparent is the baggage that other forum members bring to the table. I'm just here asking questions but until now...

I have to say, no word of a lie and without a hint of sarcasm, thank you ever so much for attempting an honest reply. It doesn't address nearly anywhere near the questions that I've asked but it is a start.

Thank you @12th Monkey .
If you have questions you would like answered the best way to do it is to start your own thread. Please feel free to do so as the forum can be a very helpful place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts