Audiolab 8300CDQ

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone here have any experience with the Audiolab 8300CDQ, in particular the quality of the headphone output. I've been using the 8300 with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 actives and I'm pleased with the sound quality. However, I tried the headphone output for the first time a few weeks back and was disappointed to hear some background noise - a faint, low level hiss. I returned the unit via Richer Sounds and received it back yesterday. The background noise is still present. I'm told by my contact at Richer Sounds that Audiolab have said that the faint noise is a 'characteristic of the DAC used'. The only thing that I've got to compare it to, other than the headphone output on my laptop, is the 3.5mm headphone output on my Marantz M-CR603, bought 12 years ago for half the price of the Audiolab, and the Marantz is silent. Am I expecting too much of the Audiolab? Perhaps I'm just too sensitive to any interference when listening with headphones...

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Mmh. Not having much experience with headphone amps etc., I wasn't really confident enough to argue the point (over the phone) with the bloke at Richer Sounds. The hiss isn't loud, but I can definitely hear it.

Gray

Perhaps I'm just too sensitive to any interference when listening with headphones...
No you're not.
The noise is there - and Audiolab have given a reason for it being there - so they haven't denied it's there.

People have often come to expect built-in headphones outputs to be a bit of an afterthought.
Disappointing for you though, especially in light of what you said about your Marantz.

If you're sticking with the amp - and want silent backgrounds to your headphone listening - you might want to consider a headphone amp.

We would expect Audiolab to know what they're talking about, but I'm surprised they put the DAC as the cause.
Maybe it's the physical proximity of the DAC and headphone circuits within the amp 🤔
Because if the DAC itself were inherently noisy (it shouldn't be).....then that noise would be present on digital inputs when played on your speakers - and, crucially, also on any fixed output you might use to feed an otherwise silent headphone amp 😕

No you're not.
The noise is there - and Audiolab have given a reason for it being there - so they haven't denied it's there.

People have often come to expect built-in headphones outputs to be a bit of an afterthought.
Disappointing for you though, especially in light of what you said about your Marantz.

If you're sticking with the amp - and want silent backgrounds to your headphone listening - you might want to consider a headphone amp.

We would expect Audiolab to know what they're talking about, but I'm surprised they put the DAC as the cause.
Maybe it's the physical proximity of the DAC and headphone circuits within the amp 🤔
Because if the DAC itself were inherently noisy (it shouldn't be).....then that noise would be present on digital inputs when played on your speakers - and, crucially, also on any fixed output you might use to feed an otherwise silent headphone amp 😕
The 8300CDQ is a CD player not an amp.....

Reactions: Gray

Messiah

It' a pre-amp
The 8300CDQ is a CD player not an amp.....
Seems you are both correct. 😁

Anyhow, surely this is why we pay £100s & £1000s for Hifi rather than a £10 BT speaker, so as to ensure we are getting top notch quality. Given all the spiel we get about isolated this and separate circuit that, I would not expect a headphone output on a product like this to be noisy.

As you say, see what Audiolab say directly.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Seems you are both correct. 😁

Anyhow, surely this is why we pay £100s & £1000s for Hifi rather than a £10 BT speaker, so as to ensure we are getting top notch quality. Given all the spiel we get about isolated this and separate circuit that, I would not expect a headphone output on a product like this to be noisy.

As you say, see what Audiolab say directly.
I would tend to agree.
I've contacted Audiolab so we'll see what they say.

Reactions: Messiah

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That's why I'm very surprised they blamed the DAC.
Not sure they're right - but the situation isn't.

Be good if someone with the model could confirm - likely theirs would have the same issue, whether they could hear it or not.
Yes, I was hoping that someone on here would have an 8300

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Just wondered if you were using the cd player bit or simply using it as a DAC/ preamp is all.
The headphone output is obviously not as it should be.
Ah, I see. The vast majority of the time, I use it with my Acoustic Energy AE1s to listen to CDs and streamed music (Qobuz) on my laptop connected via USB. I'm perfectly happy with the SQ listening this way.

Reactions: Al ears

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Got a reply from Audiolab. They say that the faint background hiss is 'normal' and that they compared it to a brand new unit. I replied to say that I'm disappointed considering that they big up the headphone amp on the 8300 on their website:

'The Sound of Science​

The 8300CDQ adds further flexibility by incorporating a dedicated direct-coupled headphone amp with current-feedback circuitry. Accessed via a front-mounted 6.35mm socket, its gain bandwidth and high slew rate ensure a dynamic, detailed and engaging performance with all manner of headphone types.'

As I said in my original post, perhaps I'm a little too sensitive to these things (I don't have an awful lot of headphone listening experience). Having said that, from what you've all said, there shouldn't be any audible background noise at all. Oh well, I won't be using the headphone out on the 8300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts