Audiolab 8200CDQ as a pre amp. A Cyrus Pre rival?

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have a dilemma. I bought an Audiolab 8200CDQ and it has remained boxed as I was considering going purely file based.

Now, I have my Cyrus Pre and Power and am very happy. Trouble is I need to do something with the Audiolab. It could of course just be used as a CD player but that seems a slight waste so I wondered...

Would there be much of a difference between the Audiolab as the Pre amp and DAC over my Cyrus Pre DAC?

I have heard the 8200CDQ and it was excellent, but in a different system. I am pondering selling the Pre DAC and using the Audiolab for all 3, DAC, Pre amp and CD player. I could of course sell the Audiolab but I know the Cyrus will sell easier and the Audiolab are dropping in price now the 8300 is out. Sound does come as the priority to me over recouping as much cash though. I just don't want to waste a perfectly good piece of kit.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Narco said:
Hi

I have a dilemma. I bought an Audiolab 8200CDQ and it has remained boxed as I was considering going purely file based.

Now, I have my Cyrus Pre and Power and am very happy. Trouble is I need to do something with the Audiolab. It could of course just be used as a CD player but that seems a slight waste so I wondered...

Would there be much of a difference between the Audiolab as the Pre amp and DAC over my Cyrus Pre DAC?

I have heard the 8200CDQ and it was excellent, but in a different system. I am pondering selling the Pre DAC and using the Audiolab for all 3, DAC, Pre amp and CD player. I could of course sell the Audiolab but I know the Cyrus will sell easier and the Audiolab are dropping in price now the 8300 is out. Sound does come as the priority to me over recouping as much cash though. I just don't want to waste a perfectly good piece of kit.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Why don't you try it????????

It will certainly 'rival' the cyrus, maybe even better it (?) but to me cyrus is as much a statement of design as a source of good sound ie. I think a cyrus system should be just that ... cyrus. However, that's just me and others will disagree. Having said that, my phono stage is non-cyrus but put these boxes into a cyrus specific rack and they look gorgeous and smart, certainly more so than many jumbled together systems on generic racks imho.

The Audiolab will probably give better ergonomics and maybe facilities (?), only you can decide that but there is nothing stopping you trying the thing out. You won't loose money as I doubt it will make any difference to second hand price.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Why don't you try it????????

It will certainly 'rival' the cyrus, maybe even better it (?) but to me cyrus is as much a statement of design as a source of good sound ie. I think a cyrus system should be just that ... cyrus. However, that's just me and others will disagree. Having said that, my phono stage is non-cyrus but put these boxes into a cyrus specific rack and they look gorgeous and smart, certainly more so than many jumbled together systems on generic racks imho.

The Audiolab will probably give better ergonomics and maybe facilities (?), only you can decide that but there is nothing stopping you trying the thing out. You won't loose money as I doubt it will make any difference to second hand price.

I understand where you're coming from :D

The main reason I have not tried it was due to the resale of it, being boxed I might get my money back. I also thought about removing CD from my formula altogether now they've all been ripped to FLAC. I understand the aesthetic side of things and it does look very smart but I am trying not to let that sway me in the sound department. I realise the only sure fire way to know is to try, so I think I will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts