Audiolab 8200cdq and subs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, am looking for anyone that has the audiolab cdq and an amp to get some advise.

i do admire the cdq, it is splendid in so many ways, but it doesnt like subwoofers-and it hasnt been easy to connect.

it is definitely not bright, but neither is it warm, and its nice to have a bit of warmth--ive added warmth to my sound in the past with the monitor audio rsw12 sub-it loved my old nad c370. but it doesnt love my cdq.

as i have a pair of 8000 mono's i run the cdq to the mono's then the mono's to the sub--i get loud feedback every time i switch on the sub but i can just about live with that. problem is the sub sounds like its been to finishing school in switzerland--far to prim, proper and controlled and doesnt add any warmth at all--actually it makes the overall sound less than it was. and when one needs a bit of bass everynow and again one doesnt want the bass to be restrained and the overall sound to be less. I now have a sub i love but dont use anymorenot the plan at all.

on a separate note i wouldnt recommend epic speaker cables with the CDQ because although they are classy they dont alleviate the CDQs problem of lack of warmth-they just make the sound a bit brighter and they are not bass friendly like my wireworld oasis.

any advise would be greatly appreciatted. cheers.

kit - Monitor Audio GR60 speakers, MA RSW12 sub, Audiolab 8200 CDQ, audiolab 8000 mono's,Chord Epic, wireworld oasis, AppleMac

Pedej0e said:
Hi, am looking for anyone that has the audiolab cdq and an amp to get some advise.

i do admire the cdq, it is splendid in so many ways, but it doesnt like subwoofers-and it hasnt been easy to connect.

it is definitely not bright, but neither is it warm, and its nice to have a bit of warmth--ive added warmth to my sound in the past with the monitor audio rsw12 sub-it loved my old nad c370. but it doesnt love my cdq.

as i have a pair of 8000 mono's i run the cdq to the mono's then the mono's to the sub--i get loud feedback every time i switch on the sub but i can just about live with that. problem is the sub sounds like its been to finishing school in switzerland--far to prim, proper and controlled and doesnt add any warmth at all--actually it makes the overall sound less than it was. and when one needs a bit of bass everynow and again one doesnt want the bass to be restrained and the overall sound to be less. I now have a sub i love but dont use anymorenot the plan at all.

on a separate note i wouldnt recommend epic speaker cables with the CDQ because although they are classy they dont alleviate the CDQs problem of lack of warmth-they just make the sound a bit brighter and they are not bass friendly like my wireworld oasis.

any advise would be greatly appreciatted. cheers.

kit - Monitor Audio GR60 speakers, MA RSW12 sub, Audiolab 8200 CDQ, audiolab 8000 mono's,Chord Epic, wireworld oasis, AppleMac

Hi Pedej0e

If your C370 is working then look at using it as a pre amp. This should add some warmth and enable you to use your RSW12 sub again.

If the C370 is not working then look at the NAD C160 pre amp (for the same reasons as above).

The variable pre amp output on both the C370 and C160 should help you to dial the RSW12 in nicely to match the GR60's.

Btw, as for cabling either revert back to using the Oasis speaker cables or llook at using standard 500 strand OFC type.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Are you using single phono or balanced connections from CDQ to power?

Have you tried a Phono splitter and run 2 sets of interconnects from each output, one to power on to sub?

A

Anonymous

thanks yet again mr musicraft. the nad c370 is definite in amp heaven. never thought of getting a preamp then connecting preamp to cdq and i suppose then the cdq to the mono's. i would lose the purity and purpose of the cdq direct but i will strongly consider it and keep my ebay eyes open.

thanks again and all the very best of good health and great wealth to you.

pedro - trainee novice

A

Anonymous

thanks for your advise, and have cdq to mono's and mono's to sub.

never heard of a phono splitter before. apart from maybe losing some of the quality of the signal ( i am guessing-i am simplier than a teatowel ) am very tempted to try that, it would also be cheaper than getting a preamp, and cheaper is a dear friend of mine. thanks very much and god bless

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pedej0e said:
thanks yet again mr musicraft. the nad c370 is definite in amp heaven. never thought of getting a preamp then connecting preamp to cdq and i suppose then the cdq to the mono's.

Not at all sure how that would work: I'd go along with the splitter idea mentioned above as the obvious way to do this, using something like this

IXCiqYRUdkCpNSySRX77jmTCx_ItgftabDwKYKy7Vk7BVFeSOq5c_JhpJQ1kROG26apa38S-wGC7pZQha2btS_m8zQPFiPub8qT8CVBGw7PbyXdP6nVgmLlh9vyV18V7nbncRW0Tp5NT7dGkKPKCfXIxrsHMwZMtlzuCXVYShdPGFwBcM2NhWQ

Or you could try connecting interconnects to the sub, and then interconnects from the sub's line-out sockets to the power amps. The noise you are getting on fire-up of the sub rather worries me – from past experience of the 8000 power amps it sounds vaguely like an amp doing itself some serious damage – so perhaps a call to Audiolab tech support for some guidance might be in order.

A

Anonymous

am so glad you included a picture becoz i thought i thought a splitter was something very differant.

As i previous bought 2 sub interconnect cables i have 2 of those splitters already. am large bit scared about suck it see approach--dont wont to try something that might damage the kit--like i did 3 months ago when things went BANG FIZZLE FIZZLE.

i wasnt too worried about the noise on switch on ( dont know how or why,but when i switched on mono's-aftr switching on the cdq first, and got the noise, i would quickly switch mono's off and then switch on the mono's in differant order-that would do it ) as hifi shop dude said not to worry but if mr everard says it i believe it.

on your 2nd bit mr everard do you mean ; cdq-interconnects to sub line in, then interconnects from sub line out to mono's.

forgive my brain for shutting down, im off to get some fish and chips to re-boot myself.

thanks very very much for the advise, very very appreciatted.

Andrew Everard said:
Pedej0e said:
thanks yet again mr musicraft. the nad c370 is definite in amp heaven. never thought of getting a preamp then connecting preamp to cdq and i suppose then the cdq to the mono's.

Not at all sure how that would work: I'd go along with the splitter idea mentioned above as the obvious way to do this, using something like this

IXCiqYRUdkCpNSySRX77jmTCx_ItgftabDwKYKy7Vk7BVFeSOq5c_JhpJQ1kROG26apa38S-wGC7pZQha2btS_m8zQPFiPub8qT8CVBGw7PbyXdP6nVgmLlh9vyV18V7nbncRW0Tp5NT7dGkKPKCfXIxrsHMwZMtlzuCXVYShdPGFwBcM2NhWQ

Or you could try connecting interconnects to the sub, and then interconnects from the sub's line-out sockets to the power amps. The noise you are getting on fire-up of the sub rather worries me – from past experience of the 8000 power amps it sounds vaguely like an amp doing itself some serious damage – so perhaps a call to Audiolab tech support for some guidance might be in order.

Hi Andrew

The 8000CDQ would be set to 0db fix level output.

8000CDQ > C370/C160

C370/C160 pre out 1 to 8000M and C370/C160 pre out 2 to RSW12

i think :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bit pointless having an 8200CDQ instead of an 8200CD, then, isn't it?

And yes, I did mean interconnects from CDQ to sub, then from sub to power amps.

A

Anonymous

i will try the splitters first, if i understand right the splitters go on the left and right outputs of the cdq, the mono's go on one bit of each splitter and sub go the other bit of the splitter, then if that doesnt work i will try cdq to sub to mono's.

thanks very much for the advise which i take tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

thanks again rick and mr everard.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Pedej0e said:
i will try the splitters first, if i understand right the splitters go on the left and right outputs of the cdq, the mono's go on one bit of each splitter and sub go the other bit of the splitter,

thanks again rick and mr everard.

Yes that would be a good start turn the volume down on the sub then gradually increase it to get good balance with the mains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts