Audiolab 8200a

Parry

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I recently purchased an Audiolab 8200a (without much audition). I am using the Audiolab with my Nad346Bee and Lektor 2 speakers. Been listening to the system over th past couple of days. The sound feel a little 'flat'. Could this be because the amp is new or is it the pairing of the Audiolab with the other components.? How can I improve the sound quality.
Appreciate your thoughts and comments
Thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It will take a little time to settle in, but is recommend turning it on an hour or so before listening sessions - leave it on all the time if that is an option.

The 8200A is a bit more of a neutral sounding amp than many other amplifiers, so if you're used to something that sounds a little warmer, it might take a little time to adjust.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The 8200a divides opinion. How long do you have before it can be returned expires?

Run the amp 24 hrs a day - If you get the chance crank it up to 9 o'clock on the volume dial when ever
you can.

I had one for a month or so - I suspect it was a Friday afternoon one although handsome as hell - the sound. ..... hmmmm, sounded superb at low levels and had the best earphone stage I have ever heard, it does change with use, hopefully it'll change to something you'll like.

Keep it on and playing and see what happens it may take awhile but many have been happy with the sound.

One of the few Amps That genuinely needs burning in.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think amps need burning in time, just time to warm up. My opinion Audiolab is neutral/lean sounding so need some warm sounding speakers to work. Maybe B&W? Don't know your speakers. But give it some time maybe you will adjust to the sound. Just like guy who went from B&W to PMC did.

Parry

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Currently, I use the Lektor2. Not the most ideal speakers with the Audiolab, I feel. It shows in the sound quality. I think the B&W 685s2 would be better...

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Couldn't find any info on the Nad 346bee..

Did you buy the Audiolab with a view to keeping the Nad CD player and Lektor speakers? I have the same speakers and they sound amazing with my Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CD player. Just a case of good matching.

As mentioned, the 8200a has a quite neutral sound and I found that my previous amp, a Rotel RA-01 (also neutral sound) sounded a tad bright with the Dali's.

Give the amp time full warm up and have a good listen with your favourite CDs. If no luck, see if you can swap the amp. The Roksan K2 can be had for around the same price as the Audiolab but I bought mine as a deal with the Kandy CD player. It's a great combo and the amp is easier to match with speakers than the Audiolab.

Not for one minute suggesting that you go and get the Roksan pair but it's just my experience with the Roksans and the Lektor 2s.. The Dali's do handle upgades pretty well.

Parry

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
hi,
Thanks for your inputs.
After using the Audiolab for about two weeks, I noticed improvement in the overall sound quality. It also depends on the CD types. Jennifer Warners in Hunter and Famous Blue Raincoat is nice. Some others CDs don't sound that good.

I am thinking if I should change the NAD 546Bee to an Audiolab 8200cd. It will certainly cost me more money and I am wondering if it's a good idea and investment...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to exchange the amp?

Looks like you've got a Friday afternoon one.

If all your music is not playing to an acceptable level see if you can swap it.

A new CD player is pointless if your amplification is naff.

Parry said:
hi,
Thanks for your inputs.
After using the Audiolab for about two weeks, I noticed improvement in the overall sound quality. It also depends on the CD types. Jennifer Warners in Hunter and Famous Blue Raincoat is nice. Some others CDs don't sound that good.

I am thinking if I should change the NAD 546Bee to an Audiolab 8200cd. It will certainly cost me more money and I am wondering if it's a good idea and investment...

Parry

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thanks,
On hindsight, I think I made a haste purchase of the Audiolab. I was actually planning to purchase the Arcam A 19 but somehow got the Audiolab hastly. I guess I just have to live with the Audiolab for sometime as exchange is not possible in this part of the world. Given this situation, I am trying to figure the best way to keep the music going and have some fun with the Audiolab amp. Hence was thinking of the Audiolab 8002cd.... No sure if this make much sense.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Parry said:
Hi Thanks, On hindsight, I think I made a haste purchase of the Audiolab. I was actually planning to purchase the Arcam A 19 but somehow got the Audiolab hastly. I guess I just have to live with the Audiolab for sometime as exchange is not possible in this part of the world. Given this situation, I am trying to figure the best way to keep the music going and have some fun with the Audiolab amp. Hence was thinking of the Audiolab 8002cd.... No sure if this make much sense.

Add one piece of Audiolab to a system, doesn't sound great so the solution is more Audiolab. (FFS its not a Naim setup)

My facetious post earlier was based in truth. Some people find the sound of Audiolab product not to their taste, descriptions of their issues vary but usually include phrases like 'clinical' or 'unforgiving'. Not making the most of many recordings is a fairly typical complaint so it sounds to me like you need to get rid.

I made exactly this error some years ago, it took me longer to work out what was going on but I found my interest in listening to music virtually dissappeared. If this is the case with you, move it on as soon as you can, you can't polish a..........*unknw*

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Try experimenting with speaker positioning.It's the only thing that's going to make any significant difference that doesn't cost anything. I assume you have them at the correct height.
I have mine almost nine ft
apart with a small amount of toe in and I sit eight ft from the centre.
Other than that, I agree that you need to get rid of the amp.
I've done the same thing with a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 speakers. Bought in error, too much bass. Sold them at a bit of a loss unfortunately but learnt from my mistake.
Did some research and bought equipment that matches better.

Parry

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks and appreciate your comments.
Speaker positioning is something that I've not done...Perhaps, I can work on it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel for you.

My experience with the 8200a was exactly like yours.

Fortunately mine was on demo and could be returned.

The quality of their amps is questionable. One option is to contact audiolab by mail stating your issue see if they are willing to help.

Their kits not cheap.

Speaker positioning won't help - you need to have quality sound in the first place. If it just sounds wrong it will never be right.

Parry said:
Hi,
Thanks and appreciate your comments.
Speaker positioning is something that I've not done...Perhaps, I can work on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts