Audiolab 8200 cd/q or quad cdp2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone got any opinions on the audiolad 8200 cd/q ?

I was thinking of getting a quad cdp2 for cd playing and later fkexability with the dac for streaming.

I use kef 104/2 speakers with audio innovations 700 integrated amp.

I thought i would get the quad, but was interested to hear opinions of the audiolab?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard either, but am certainly aware of the buzz that the Audiolab is making. My local dealer was so impressed when he heard it, that he is now thinking about stocking it.

Here is a review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cd-players/1301-audiolab-8200cdq-dac-for-audiophiles.html

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll find the 8200CDQ a little more lively than the Quad, and a little more flexible too. John Westlake has done a lot of work on the 8200CD and CDQ, and this really shows in their sound quality and value for money. One of my customers is using one to directly supply some Bryston 7B monoblocks - it really is a top notch piece of kit.

A

Anonymous

Could you expand on the lively comment please?

Im looking for something this is very easy to lsten to.

I mainly listen to jazz - more stan getz than miles davis etc

A

Anonymous

Looks very interesting, very similar functionality to my Wadia, which is the reason I got the Wadia...digital inputs so can make use of the DAC, pre-amp/volume (although the Wadia does volume in the digital domain, Audiolab is analogue), both RCA and Balanced i/cs

Just add active speakers ;)

Whats the price of the 8200? [EDIT: £799 on Amazon, is that all??? Blimey, seems darn reasonable]

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The opposite of more lively, is more laid back. The Audilab should sound cleaner, more detailed and a little more forward.

Given that you have a Tube amp (I think), mixed with older style Kef speakers, I think you should be getting quite a warm sound....this I believe should work quite well with the Audiolab. The Quad may make the sound too lifeless.

This is all conjecture, as taste is personal and subjective.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
philmoses said:
Could you expand on the lively comment please?

Im looking for something this is very easy to lsten to.

I mainly listen to jazz - more stan getz than miles davis etc

As Cno mentions, the Quad is more laid back, smoother. This may be preferable with your type of music, but you should find the more neutral sounding 8200CDQ a more lively listen, bringing you more detail and definition to the soundstage. As I say, you might prefer the Quad's smoother tone, but I doubt you'll prefer it as far as quality is concerned. BUt get a demo, and see what you think :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help.

Im trying to find one second hand. Which seems difficult at a good price.

In the mean time i had thought of a naim cd3.5.

Just as a temporary solution - im not moving to streaming for a few years.

How would the naim compare given it it is from the late 90s?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Dr Lodge said:
Whats the price of the 8200? [EDIT: £799 on Amazon, is that all??? Blimey, seems darn reasonable]

The 8200CDQ with pre is £999....£799 is for the 8200CD :)

Or even £799 for the 8200CDQ here ;) Although it is ex-display @ SSAV

A

Anonymous

Audiolab state "users may choose between preamplification in the analogue or digital domain in respect of the digital inputs"...what exactly does that mean, does it do volume in the digital domain too, like the Wadia?

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does do volume in the digital domain. The pre amp can be set to either analogue or digital, though I've not tried it very often, or noticed much difference when I have. The designer seems to think it's better to use the digital pre. There's load's of info on pinkfish on this if you can manage to trawl through any of the epic threads over there.

I've not heard the Quad, but I love my CDQ. I love the sound and the information it delivers, and I love the flexibility it has brought to my system now, and the future. Now all I have to do is find a power amp that will bring out the best of it, but without having to go to the expense that one of David's customers has with those Bryston's!

Any ideas David?

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I would echo Fisherking's thoughts. I love it's detailed, neutral sound - I had a Rega Jupiter before, which sounded beautiful itself and I intended originally to buy an M-Dac for my Sonos ZP90, but there were none in stock....so I home-demo'ed a CDQ and after a week, it was all-change.

It wasn't just the CD sound, which wasn't really all that far ahead of the Jupiter, but the general flexibility and all-round brilliance, i.e. it's a CD player, pre-amp, DAC and don't forget the headphone amp, which, to my ears, was a revelation (on plugging in both my SR325i's and UE Triple-Fi 10s, I was genuinely shocked at how good things sounded, having only really used the headphone socket on my 8000S amp/iPod before)

Anyway, I flogged my whole system bar the speakers and my old Audiolab 8000P, but still felt the 8000P was holding things back a bit, but as luck would have it (!) one of the guys at SSAV happened to be selling his Tact SDA2175 power amp and said I was welcome to try it....I was a bit wary as I'd never heard of Tact, but I kept it for a couple of weeks and was totally seduced - lower, more detailed bass (without being too prominent), smoother and more transparent, and generally loads of control etc - quite gob-smacking really when compared to my 8000P, which I wasn't really expecting.

So, I couldn't comment on the Quad player (which sounds great from what I've read), but in my experience the 8200CDQ is a great piece of kit, especially given it's versatility - I now have my Sonos ZP90 and Sky HD plugged in, plus DVD player. Also, I managed to get mine (brand new OLED version) for £830 - I was about to start haggling but the manager had already got his calculator out and said "well, it's still pretty close to Christmas, so...) and the Tact cost me £500.

I've also read a fair bit about people pairing it with Bryston 4Bs, Bel Canto Evo etc with fantastic results, but then you're looking at a good couple of grand in the case of the Bryston (drool drool)

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

There is a new quad cd player called the CDP Elite - its 1199 pounds and that got a great review in another UK mag. They raved about its analogue character in its sound, saying its very sweet, smooth and silky sound without simbilance with a deep soundstage - traditional QUAD cd sound.

I heard from one hifi shop that the Audiolab can sound a little clinical on the wrong equipment - I must admit I haven't heard the audiolab only the older cd model which I found sounded quite good. I hope I havent confused the issue for you.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts