Audioengine A5+ vs Q acoustics 2020i

astro_man26

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Here is my current setup in my living room: Augioengine A5+ powered speakers, PS3 as a cd player, Fiio D3 as a DAC

I just bought a Sony STRDN850 which will act as my new DAC and AMP. It is a much simpler (and hopefully better) setup than my current one, but that means that I have to change my speakers as they are powered and don't have a passive input.

I was wondering how the Q Acoustics 2020i would sound when compared to the A5+ in terms of sound quality? I am aware that I am changing many components and that it is really not a 'fair' comparison, but as they are both 5 stars (although the Q acoustics were reviewed @ 150 vs Audio engine's 290 price tag.) I'd like to know what you guys think.

As a last resort, I could use my other pair (Paradigm Mini monitor V6), but I'd rather keep them in the other room with their current DAC/AMP combination (Cambridge Audio DacMagic + NAD C352).

Suggestions, ideas?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
First off I would check the subwoofer outputs on the reciever.

Are they stereo or twin mono, full range or bass only?

If they are stereo and full range, they can be used to drive your A5+. If not uou need to buy passive speakers.

Personally I do not see how your Sony with a pair of £200 speakers is going to move you forward in performance terms but, as you say, it is a neater package.

If you are able, try a habful of appropriate speakers and pick the one you prefer. If you try well regarded models they will be very similar in terms of their capabilities but present the music differently.

Take into account how you are going to mount your speakers, most important.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I am an owner of the 2020i speakers. I am familiar with the Audioengine A5 speakers.

My opinion ; the 2020i are much, much better. No comparison.

Why don't you try the Q Acoustics BT3 speakers ?

astro_man26

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The B3 is much more expensive... they are 800$ CAD here whereas the 2020i is 400$. At that price, I'd probably go with the Q 20 at 700$

I'll check the Sub connection

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts