Audio switch devices

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I don't have much knowledge of audio switch devices and I'm looking for the best solution for a fairly sophisticated, interconnected setup:

I have the following devices:

NAD3020 amp

Phono pre-amp

2 x technics 1210 turntables

DJ controller - Pioneer XDJ-RX

Virgin box/Samsung TV

Problems:

1. My amp has limited inputs and I need a switch for my TV, phono pre-amp and XDJ-RX Dj controller.

2. My XDJ-RX DJ controller has two channels - each with a built in phono switch for the option of connecting both decks. However, I need one of my turntables to output to two sources; the XDJ-RX Dj controller and the phono pre-amp. This is because I don't want to be dependent on powering up the DJ controller to play records.

Any idea on the most sensible way to solve this potential spaghetti junction of cables/switches? (and to recommend switches where appropriate?). It's worth bearing in mind that my turntables and controller are sunk into a studio mixing table with the controller suspended on a stand above. There really isn't much room available for multiple switches as they can often be quite imposing.

CHEERS! (and hope that makes sense)

Rob. :)

Gray

What a great toy that Pioneer is (and not a bad price when you consider the cost of a single one of their standalone CD decks. My mate owns a club, so I borrowed one for a play, even just a single one, the way it hot samples - endless fun)

When I was into mixing all my sources, my needs were even more specific than yours, so I built my own switchbox. Recommended only if you're handy with a soldering iron and have a couple of weeks to spare!

Otherwise, have a look at CPC online, using the following stock codes. Any one of the four will do the job of switching the TV (RCA outputs), phono preamp or Pioneer into one NAD amp input:

AV12763 AV12764 AV09358 AV23847 (With your own, customised labelling of course)

As for the switching of the signals from one of your 1210 turntables. First try pairing the inputs using 2 of these: AV17293. Then compare paired with direct input to see if there's any compromise with the paired sound. I would try to avoid any switching of the low-level cartridge signals. If you have to, use signal switches with gold plated switch contacts (look at CPC's mini toggle ranges - which you'd have to put in a (metal) box - as opposed to silver (gold doesn't tarnish which can massively affect such low level signals) You may find it preferable to switch rather than pair the cartridge output - though remember, purists would do neither.

Good luck. If you don't hear from me again it won't be because I'm ignoring you, but because THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT ALWAYS ALLOW LOG ON. (maybe someone might see that)

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
So so helpful! THANKS!

I'll give this a go and report back when I've made progress.

Much appreciated - and yes, the XDJ-RX offers hours of fun...but Rekordbox tagging of 10,000+ tracks is a full time job. (!)

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts