audio splitter for amplifier and music centre.

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello. I am new to this and not sure if i have the right forum. I have a new music centre and a marantz pm66 se integrated amplifier. On the back of the new music centre is one pair of rca audio sockets. On the marantz amplifier i have pairs of audio rca (shrouded) cables connected to audio sockets(Aux, phono, cd and tuner). The problem is that i want to play music from the centre through the amp connected to large tannoy speakers instead of the smaller speakers which came with the centre. The tannoy speakers are 8 ohm. I have looked at a several splitter distribution units on the net but they all seem to be 4 inputs and 1 output. I need to find an audio splitter distribution box that has 1 input from the music centre and is then distributed to the 4 outputs (aux, phono, cd and tuner) on the amp(see attachment). This would save me having to switch over the audio rca ( shrouded) connectors on the back of the centre everytime i want to swop from cd to phono as an example. Anyone got any ideas about where to get a 1 input to 4 output rca audio splitter distribution unit at a reasonable price.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 7

Gray

Welcome, you've got the right forum, we can answer any question, especially one from Beethoven.
The sockets on the back of the music centre, what are they labelled as?
Perhaps you can show a picture or give the make / model.

Last edited:

Gray

By the way, a 4 in, 1 out switchbox, can be used as a 1 in, 4 out - without problem (just by ignoring its in/out labelling).
BUT, a switchbox would not be of use to you.
There will be an answer, once we see the music centre back panel......to find out precisely what's on the other end of the red/ black plugs in your first photo.
I think it's more likely to be an input to, rather than an output from, a music centre.
The odd old product even, stupidly, put speaker outputs on RCA connectors......

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

By the way, a 4 in, 1 out switchbox, can be used as a 1 in, 4 out - without problem (just by ignoring its in/out labelling).
BUT, a switchbox would not be of use to you.
There will be an answer, once we see the music centre back panel......to find out precisely what's on the other end of the red/ black plugs in your first photo.
I think it's more likely to be an input to, rather than an output from, a music centre.
The odd old product even, stupidly, put speaker outputs on RCA connectors......
I am confused…🤔 I agree the RCA connections on the music centre are more likely to be inputs. If you are lucky however and they are pre-outs then you only need that to be connected to one set of inputs on the Marantz. So I am confused as to why you think you would need to swap between CD, Phono etc …..

Gray

I am confused…🤔 I agree the RCA connections on the music centre are more likely to be inputs. If you are lucky however and they are pre-outs then you only need that to be connected to one set of inputs on the Marantz. So I am confused as to why you think you would need to swap between CD, Phono etc …..
I've got a feeling that he thinks all music centre sources (via one output connection) need to be split out into the individual inputs of the Marantz!

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello Gray. Thank you for the reply. I am new to amplifiers so bear with me . I see what you mean about not swapping between connectors. On the back of the music centre there are two rca output sockets that send sound out to the speakers. Rca left and right. The left and right sockets are definately rca line outs as described . Do i take it that i can just connect one pair of rca connectors to the amp and the the other end to the centre ? This might be simpler than i though. I had the preconceived idea that you had to split the signal leading from the centre to the different channels of aux, phono, cd and tuner on the amp. I must be wrong! Would connecting the rca connectors to the aux sockets on the marantz and the other connectors to the centre suffice?
Thanks for your patience and help with someone new to amps.

Tinman1952

Hello Gray. Thank you for the reply. I am new to amplifiers so bear with me . I see what you mean about not swapping between connectors. On the back of the music centre there are two rca output sockets that send sound out to the speakers. Rca left and right. The left and right sockets are definately rca line outs as described . Do i take it that i can just connect one pair of rca connectors to the amp and the the other end to the centre ? This might be simpler than i though. I had the preconceived idea that you had to split the signal leading from the centre to the different channels of aux, phono, cd and tuner on the amp. I must be wrong! Would connecting the rca connectors to the aux sockets on the marantz and the other connectors to the centre suffice?
Thanks for your patience and help with someone new to amps.
Well I am not Gray but it was my comment you quoted so I will reply….🙂
Yes if they are definitely RCA outputs on the music centre then you only need one pair of interconnects from music centre to the Marantz.
Any input on the Marantz will suffice (except phono) and all the sound from your music centre should be output through that one connection. 👍

Reactions: Al ears

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello Tinman 1952. First of all could i give you my sincere apologise for calling you gray. Thank you for the reply. I think i am getting the idea of this as a noobie. Just one thing. The steepletone hifi i have just bought is going to be digital output for certain. However, on the back of the marantz integrated stereo amp pm-66se i am not sure about this but the rca inputs could well be analogue. If that is the case and i will soon find out. Would i possibly need to get a digital to analogue converter? Also, am i right or wrong about the large 8-16 ohm Tannoy speakers not being a problem. I say that because if the speakers are connected to the amp and not directly connected to the stereo hifi then will be no incompatibilty between the speakers and the output of the hifi. If the speakers where directly connected to the hifi i take it then there might be a problem with them being either over or underdriven as a result of a possible mis-match with the hifi spec .
Thank you Tinman 1952 for your expert and reassuring help.

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello Tinman 1952. First of all could i give you my sincere apologise for calling you gray. Thank you for the reply. I think i am getting the idea of this as a noobie. Just one thing. The steepletone hifi i have just bought is going to be digital output for certain. However, on the back of the marantz integrated stereo amp pm-66se i am not sure about this but the rca inputs could well be analogue. If that is the case and i will soon find out. Would i possibly need to get a digital to analogue converter? Also, am i right or wrong about the large 8-16 ohm Tannoy speakers not being a problem. I say that because if the speakers are connected to the amp and not directly connected to the stereo hifi then will be no incompatibilty between the speakers and the output of the hifi. If the speakers where directly connected to the hifi i take it then there might be a problem with them being either over or underdriven as a result of a possible mis-match with the hifi spec .

Tinman1952

Hi. No problem 🙂
Yes the RCA inputs on the Marantz are definitely analogue. I am sure it would drive your Tannoy speakers better than the music centre. Are you sure the Steepletone output is digital? Do you have a model number? If digital it would be just one connection either optical or coaxial. If you have twin RCA outputs (usually red and white) then it is an analogue output.

Gray

Beethoven, in one post you have said they are definitely line outputs. In another post you have said the Steepletone output is 'going to be digital for certain'.
As Tinman said, if there's 2 of them they will be analogue (although I'm sure Tinman still wouldn't bet any money on them being outputs and not inputs.....would you Tinman?
I wouldn't).

All you need to do if you want to remove all doubt Beethoven, is what I suggested, show a photo of the Steepletone back panel.

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Beethoven, in one post you have said they are definitely line outputs. In another post you have said the Steepletone output is 'going to be digital for certain'.
As Tinman said, if there's 2 of them they will be analogue (although I'm sure Tinman still wouldn't bet any money on them being outputs and not inputs.....would you Tinman?
I wouldn't).

All you need to do if you want to remove all doubt Beethoven, is what I suggested, show a photo of the Steepletone back panel.
Hi. No problem 🙂
Yes the RCA inputs on the Marantz are definitely analogue. I am sure it would drive your Tannoy speakers better than the music centre. Are you sure the Steepletone output is digital? Do you have a model number? If digital it would be just one connection either optical or coaxial. If you have twin RCA outputs (usually red and white) then it is an analogue output.
Hello tinman. The Steepletone is the memphis 5 in 1 turntable cd dab mp3 record radio music centre. model memphis 3 BT. I'll have to come back to you in the next couple of days with info and pics of the rear of the amp and the rear and front of the Steepletone hifi.
Thank you for your help and i will be back shortly.

Tinman1952

Hello tinman. The Steepletone is the memphis 5 in 1 turntable cd dab mp3 record radio music centre. model memphis 3 BT. I'll have to come back to you in the next couple of days with info and pics of the rear of the amp and the rear and front of the Steepletone hifi.
Thank you for your help and i will be back shortly.
Hi. Just checked the specs of the Memphis 3 BT and it definitely says RCA line outs L & R …. So they are definitely analogue outputs. So just one pair of interconnects needed between those and your Marantz. Also the Steepletone is only 2 watts per channel RMS so would definitely struggle with the Tannoy speakers! Try it connected to the Marantz and see 👍

Reactions: Gray

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi. Just checked the specs of the Memphis 3 BT and it definitely says RCA line outs L & R …. So they are definitely analogue outputs. So just one pair of interconnects needed between those and your Marantz. Also the Steepletone is only 2 watts per channel RMS so would definitely struggle with the Tannoy speakers! Try it connected to the Marantz and see 👍
Hello Tinman 1952 and Gray. Thank you so much for the info. I wont connect the hi fi directly to the speakers that was never my intention but to connect to the amp first using aux analogue sockets and then to the speakers. Hopefully there would then be no issue with the speakers. I'll give the connections a go! Also, as requested pics of the hifi attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 6

Gray

Hello Tinman 1952 and Gray. Thank you so much for the info. I wont connect the hi fi directly to the speakers that was never my intention but to connect to the amp first using aux analogue sockets and then to the speakers. Hopefully there would then be no issue with the speakers. I'll give the connections a go! Also, as requested pics of the hifi attached.
That's what we needed - "a picture speaks a thousand words"
I said the odd product (stupidly) puts speaker outputs on RCA sockets.....you've got one of those odd products.
LINE OUT ✔

Tinman1952

I wont connect the hi fi directly to the speakers that was never my intention but to connect to the amp first using aux analogue sockets and then to the speakers
Yes we understood that. 🙂 Just pointing out the Marantz is by far the better option for your speakers in terms of power output. 👍 Let us know how you get on….and start with volume low! 🙂

Beethoven

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hello gray. I have just setup the hi fi with the marantz amp and bingo!! You where correct that they are analogue and not digital outputs as i thought originally. I connected the two rca connectors to the hifi and then to the auxiliary input sockets on the amp. Switched the control on the front of the matantz amp to aux and that was it. It now sound great coming through the tannoy speakers. As you said the Steepletone speakers that came with the hifi being only 2 watts per channel are hopelessly outclassed by the tannoy speakers. Can i just wish to thank you and tinman 1952 for taking an interest and more importantly educating me about the setting up of an external device with an amplifier. As a noobie i needed help to understand the configuration. The reproduction through the m3 tannoy speakers is excellent when using the cd, phone or dab radio stations etc. Thank you for your invaluable help and if i have a problem at all in the future i will contact you if necessary. Cheers for now!!!!

Tinman1952

Hello gray. I have just setup the hi fi with the marantz amp and bingo!! You where correct that they are analogue and not digital outputs as i thought originally. I connected the two rca connectors to the hifi and then to the auxiliary input sockets on the amp. Switched the control on the front of the matantz amp to aux and that was it. It now sound great coming through the tannoy speakers. As you said the Steepletone speakers that came with the hifi being only 2 watts per channel are hopelessly outclassed by the tannoy speakers. Can i just wish to thank you and tinman 1952 for taking an interest and more importantly educating me about the setting up of an external device with an amplifier. As a noobie i needed help to understand the configuration. The reproduction through the m3 tannoy speakers is excellent when using the cd, phone or dab radio stations etc. Thank you for your invaluable help and if i have a problem at all in the future i will contact you if necessary. Cheers for now!!!!
You’re welcome…glad you got it sorted. 😁

Gray

We're very happy that you can improve your sound so much by using the Marantz and Tannoys (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts