Audio nas connected to hifi amp with apple ipad as remote control ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to put all my cds on Nas and it connected to my hifi amplifier.
I would then like to control this via an ipad so it myst have an app.

I dont want the hastle of a network or wireless etc.
I would line a nas that has rca output to connect to my amp, which is remote controllable via an iphone app.

I' like it like this due to ease of maintenance and bad eyesight.

The quality must be excellent.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
To my knowledge there's no such thing as an "audio NAS" that you can connect directly to an amp, you need a streamer or some description to take the data off the NAS and convert it to audio. There are lots of those about, have a look in the reviews section, most of them will have iApps.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
One word, Sonos.

http://www.sonos.com/

Yes, I would have said that, if he'd mentioned multi-room, but it's not the cheapest option, arguably though it is the simplest option as you don't have to worry about buying a NAS that can run any particular type of server software, which is good if you're not particularly techy.

However as he also says he doesn't want a network (makes you wonder how he's accessing this forum though) I don't think he's going to get very far.

A

Anonymous

philmoses said:
I would like to put all my cds on Nas and it connected to my hifi amplifier.
I would then like to control this via an ipad so it myst have an app.

I dont want the hastle of a network or wireless etc.

You can't use a NAS without a network, NAS = Network Attached Storage.

Why don't you store the files directly on the iPad and plug that into the amp? Or you could store them on a laptop and plug the laptop in the amp, in which case you could use something like a Squeezebox touch, store files on a laptop, play via the SBT which can be controlled via an iPohne app. I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Netbook with either a large harddrive fitted or an external HDD connected via USB into DAC connected via RCA into your Amplifier.

Run JRiver MC17 on the netbook as your music software (plays FLAC / ALAC / MP3 etc etc) all controlled from iPad using JRemote

Works a dream and no glitches :grin:

A

Anonymous

Thanks fir your replies.

I want to store cds - upto 200 so that they are easy to play.

I know nas is network based - but i wanted the equivalent non networl.

I want the simplest solution that is excellent quality.

Yes i use wifi for internet but i want very simle.

The reason - losing my eyesight - and heaven help me if i have to rely on the girlfriend to maintain the network sound syste.

I was hoping for something that you feed a cd in..llthen it is available straight away to pkay....and controlled via ipad.....ipad because of pinch and zoom to make screen much larger so i can see it.

Ill check ou he olive and the sonus.

A

Anonymous

Is there much difference between the sonos and olive for quality of sound, if playing ripped cds at maximum quality?

If i went for the sonos and also installed a nas.....is the nas very easy to connect to the network?

Is it wireless or just connected to the router via ethernet cable?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
philmoses said:
Is there much difference between the sonos and olive for quality of sound, if playing ripped cds at maximum quality?

Possibly, the Olive is more expensive (you haven't specified a budget), so it's likely the DACs in the Olive will be better.

If i went for the sonos and also installed a nas.....is the nas very easy to connect to the network?

Is it wireless or just connected to the router via ethernet cable?

Ethernet cable to the router. Unless you bought something like a RIPNAS though you'll still need something to actually rip the CDs with. Again if the budget isn't an issue that might be a good option, as RIPNAS's tend to be a bit mroe expensive than normal ones.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The Olive would be the simplest solution (leaving aside the issues that other members here have reported with them), but it depends on budget. Mind you, once you add a ZP90 and a RIPNAS you're probably not that far away in price terms to the Olive anyway...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts