Question Audio delay ~200ms when using external audio source

lowbeat

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
My current setup is Sony PS5 > Sony XH90 (X900H) > Sony XH-RT3 5.1 Soundbar Dolby Digital Plus (No DTS).
The issue I have is whenever I use Soundbar it introduces delay in audio, around 200ms.
When I switch back to TV speakers, sound doesn't have delay.
This happens for both PS5 and on TV Android system when going through menu. When I turn on Plex or Netflix I don't notice the issue with lip-syncing so it must somehow sync audio and video, but it can't do that while low latency gaming I guess ?

Can anyone help me with this issue, I googled a lot of people having similar issues and different solutions, but none helped me.
I tried combination of every possible setting in the TV and PS5 for sound and nothing worked, including changing eArc modes, Direct output, Audio 1,2,PCM etc. etc..
I also tried both TV HDMI arc to soundbar and TV optical to soundbar and they have the same issue.
Sound is amazing, 5.1 works, but there is that stupid delay that I cannot fix...

If nothing at least can somebody help me make sure that this is soundbar issue and if I get new one I will not have the same problem ?

I was also thinking of getting AV and a couple of speakers for my setup, but how can I be sure that when using Arc to that new AV I won't be having the same issue ?

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Interessting

I also have a Sony TV and Sony Soundbar. Typically though i usually have the sound muted as I normaly wear a headset for game chat, etc.

One of the things i have noticed though with my Xbox One is that I had to ensure the HDMI settings were set to match on the TV and the Console for it to work properly, but i will attest i haven't properly checked the soundbar for any delays.

I will have a play this evening and feedback.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Ok.

So over the last couple of days i've done some experimenting. Strangely enough, I have the same problem as well. I'd like to know how you have measured the delay as this is not something i have much experience with. It is noticeable though between my headphones and my Sony TV and Soundbar. I currently have it set where My Xbox One is connected straight to the TV and sound is fed via ARC on HDMI 4 to the Soundbar.

For information My Sony Devices are as follows:
TV: Sony Bravia KD-55XD9305
Soundbar: Sony HT-CT790

To start with i ensured The Display settings were correct between MY Xbox 1 and the TV. This involved manually configuring the bit pixel rate and specifying RGB on the XBOX 1

On the TV, I went into External Inputs, and ensured that Enhanced HDMI Signal Format was set on the applicable ports and manually set the Dynamic Range to full in display properties (a necessity for any RGB configuration to get the full color gamut)

As for Sound I encountered the same delay in the TV as the Soundbar. From this so far the Soundbar is not the obvious delimiting Factor.

I experimented with disabling Clear Audio + on the TV and on the Soundbar with any additional sound effects to see if this was a processing isssue. No change was noted. I tried altering where the sound was decoded (i.e. TV or Soundbar). This made no difference either.

Finally I looked into sound settings on the Xbox One.

Changing the output audio from 'headphone' to Sterio (on headphone) then bizzarely unlocked External sound options.
I did note a slight improvement when i changed the HDMI soundoutput to 'Bitstream'. But a delay was still present.

Next tests tomorrow will be to use the Soundbar as the first connected device rather than the TV.

Jimmy

lowbeat

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your inputs.

I have different issue as I don't have any lag coming from tv speakers, only when I switch to soundbar.

I haven't measured it using anything specific, it is so bad that it is annoying looking at characters talk...

Best case where I can see how much lag there is, is playing astros playroom, going through menu and hearing sound come from ps5 controller, and then almost half a second later on soundbar, whereas when using tv speakers they are synced up...

I thought that my oldhdmi cable was an issue so I bought ultra high speed one with ethernet that supports earc (which my soundbar doesn't) but still thought it might help, but it didn't.

I also use bitstream dolby digital (DTS gives no sound since soundbar doesn't support it and PCM also gives no sound since sounbar 5.1 PCM doesn't support, only PCM 2.0, but I don't know how to setup 2.0 and even if I did, I wouldn't use it)...

If I knew that 100% it is because of my soundbar I would just get new one and get over it, but I don't want to shill out any money and have the same issue again.

Also I was thinking of AVRs but they are way too expensive, those ones that support 120fps at 4k, and I don't know if I can just use TV to AVR via EARC for sound only, so I can get cheaper AVR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts