Attenuation on the cheap?

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Quick question...

I play my music from a laptop streaming to a USB DAC. If I turn the volume down in whatever media player software I happen to be using from 100% to, say, 75% and compensate by turning the amp volume up, am I gaining (excuse the pun) the same effect as I would be if I were to fit attenuating phono plugs between DAC and amp?

It sounds slightly smoother when I do this, although I'm worried about lowering the signal-to-noise ratio.

A

Anonymous

a.g.:Quick question...

I play my music from a laptop streaming to a USB DAC. If I turn the volume down in whatever media player software I happen to be using from 100% to, say, 75% and compensate by turning the amp volume up, am I gaining (excuse the pun) the same effect as I would be if I were to fit attenuating phono plugs between DAC and amp?

It sounds slightly smoother when I do this, although I'm worried about lowering the signal-to-noise ratio.

Essentially, yes. Attenuators reduce the level of the "line level" output from the source, allowing you to crank the amp up to it's optimum operating level without annoying the neighbours / other half / pets etc.

From my limited knowledge, I understand that altering the volume in the digital domain (i.e. with the volume control of your media player) is frowned on by purists. However, the bottom line is that if it sounds better to you, then it's a good solution. As regards the signal to noise ration, it's only a problem if you can hear extraneous noise through the music. From your post, I suspect that you have not found this to be a problem.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou for the info Tractorboy! I suppose you're right and it comes down to a matter of "if it sounds good then go with it". It is useful having more useful volume knob range but I need to do some serious listening in order to make my mind up on what sounds the best.

A

Anonymous

a.g. - What operating system are you using? You may find that by streaming your music through various media players that you are not getting a bit perfect presentation, my suggestion would be to use something like J River Media Player with AISO4ALL drivers.

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:
ÿEssentially, yes. Attenuators reduce the level of the "line level" output from the source, allowing you to crank the amp up to it's optimum operating level without annoying the neighbours / other half / pets etc.ÿ

Not quite. Have a look atÿhttp://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/rothwell_e.html, which gives a good explanation of what they do. Attenuators only benefit some systems, by no means all.ÿ

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Andy Ford:a.g. - What operating system are you using? You may find that by streaming your music through various media players that you are not getting a bit perfect presentation, my suggestion would be to use something like J River Media Player with AISO4ALL drivers.

Windows 7 RC at the moment but I want to dual-boot with a Linux distro one day. I use Winamp to play the files because I haven't found anything better. I will look into AISO4ALL, thanks.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:tractorboy:
Essentially, yes. Attenuators reduce the level of the "line level" output from the source, allowing you to crank the amp up to it's optimum operating level without annoying the neighbours / other half / pets etc.

Not quite. Have a look at http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/rothwell_e.html, which gives a good explanation of what they do. Attenuators only benefit some systems, by no means all.

Yup, I own a pair of those Rothwells. As I understand it, they simply reduce the voltage going into the amp. How is that different? (Or have I missed something?)

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:Tarquinh:tractorboy:

Not quite. Have a look at http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/rothwell_e.html, which gives a good explanation of what they do. Attenuators only benefit some systems, by no means all.

Yup, I own a pair of those Rothwells. As I understand it, they simply reduce the voltage going into the amp. How is that different? (Or have I missed something?)

Yes, you're right, it's the reason why they're necessary I thought needed a bit more explanation. Wasn't sure what you meant by optimum operating level. You only need use attenuators where the input voltage to the amp is too high, which normally manifests itself as increasing distortion as you crank up the volume. In some cases, it can mean that a small turn of the volume control and the speakers are almost blasting the room out, but this depends on the amp design - some NADs, for example, go from quiet to loud without many steps in between, which isn't a problem as it seems to be inherent in their design.

Normally you don't need attenuators, unless distortion is apparent. Unfortunately, some websites advertise them as improving the sound generally, which, as the TNT article states, they don't unless there is a problem to begin with.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou Andy Ford for mentioning AISO4ALL, it's transformed the sound, fantastic!

If anyone is interested, you need AISO4ALL and the Winamp plugin. It won't work by its own!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts