Attenuated -14dB - huh????

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Just taken delivery of some Kimber Silver Streak Attenuated -14dB interconnects, which I won on eBay. Using the SSs with my TT, now, but whereas I normally have the amp's volume at 42-ish clicks, with the Kimber SS I'm having to crank it up to 60, otheriwse I hear now't. [:|] I assume that this need for extra volume is related to the 'Attenuated -14dB' aspect? If so, what's it all about and what's the benefit? Ta [:)] PS Happy Christmas to all [<:eek:)]

A

Anonymous

In your case, where your gear is from the same manufacturer and therefore presumably well balanced, none whatsoever.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:Just taken delivery of a some Kimber Silver Streak Attenuated -14dB interconnects, which I won on eBay.

Using the SSs with my TT, now, but whereas I normally have the amp's volume at 42-ish clicks, with the Kimber SS I'm having to crank it up to 60, otheriwse I hear now't.
emotion-8.gif

I assume that this need for extra volume is related to the 'Attenuated -14dB' aspect? If so, what's it all about and what's the benefit?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

PS Happy Christmas to all
emotion-19.gif

I'm not sure but I think it's supposed to be aimed at cd player to amp.

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's right. If the output from your CD player is too high it can cause your amp to distort, so attenuators lower the signal. That's why I'd doubt whether you'd have any benefit, given its all Arcam.
Merry Christmas to you, too.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Yes, TTs are relatively low output (compared to CDP) so they have no need for attenuation. Attenuators are for CDP>AMP.

Try the interconnects in that configuration. You will have to turn the volume further up to get your normal listening volume. You may well find that the sound opens up. If not, chuck 'em back on e-bay. I doubt you'll get less than you paid for them.

Merry Christmas.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So, hang on, you bought something with no idea of what it was for?

They're for people who don't feel they get the best from their amplifier because they can't turn the volume up far enough to get the amp into its sweet spot, so you lower the input from your source so you need to turn the amp up more.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think your Arcam amp has adjustable input trim anyway my diva A85 does, so no need for attenuated interconnects really. As others have said only need them if your cd player output is high.

Merry xmas.

ps see page 11 of your A38 manual on how to adjust input trim.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc: They're for people who don't feel they get the best from their amplifier because they can't turn the volume up far enough to get the amp into its sweet spot, so you lower the input from your source so you need to turn the amp up more.

That's how I wanted to put it, but the Glenfiddich in me wouldn't let me. I pretty much just dribbled all over the keyboard for my answer.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
the_lhc: They're for people who don't feel they get the best from their amplifier because they can't turn the volume up far enough to get the amp into its sweet spot, so you lower the input from your source so you need to turn the amp up more.

That's how I wanted to put it, but the Glenfiddich in me wouldn't let me. I pretty much just dribbled all over the keyboard for my answer.

I live to serve my lord...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:So, hang on, you bought something with no idea of what it was for?They're for people who don't feel they get the best from their amplifier because they can't turn the volume up far enough to get the amp into its sweet spot, so you lower the input from your source so you need to turn the amp up more.Never heard this before. Are you sure? It seems odd amp manufacturers haven't worked this out. Also, what happens when an amp uses a stepped attenuator as volume control, such as Densen?

Anyway, merry christmas!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:So, hang on, you bought something with no idea of what it was for? ...
I bought them for their 'bright' open sound because my amp/speakers were selected to make my CDP's playback sound like vinyl, which, in turn, makes my TT sound too bass-heavy and lacking in top-end detail.

Hence, the Kimber SSs are hooked up my TT - and have indeed achieved the prime objective.

This particular set was on eBay - I 'won' 'em for £57, which is a shilling or two less than Russ Andrews' c. £150 rrp - so this beggar couldn't be choosy re their Attenuated -14dB spec.

OK, so in other words, cranking the volume up to 60 isn't damaging the amp(s). Cool.

Thanks to all for feedback.
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Ooo, an instruction book, never looked at one of those before - I guess there's a 1st-time for everything, eh?

Don't start now!

It can lead to flower arranging and an interest in male fashions & grooming and musicals.

Real men throw instructions away because they have ancient and instinctive abilities to fix anything technical by thumping it hard and swearing at the manufacturer on the phone.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
6th.replicant:Ooo, an instruction book, never looked at one of those before - I guess there's a 1st-time for everything, eh?

Don't start now!

It can lead to flower arranging and an interest in male fashions & grooming and musicals.

Real men throw instructions away because they have ancient and instinctive abilities to fix anything technical by thumping it hard and swearing at the manufacturer on the phone.

Too late! I read the whole manual...
emotion-8.gif

Consequently, I've just subscribed to this:

menshealth.jpg

And I'm frantically Googling for a BD of this:
tumblr_kxnx2pNGIy1qb2y2oo1_500.jpg

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Glad you like the Ic's anyway, they are very detailed and revealing. Just select phono and turn your input trim up to +8 and you should not have to turn your volume control up as much.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
jiggyjoe:Glad you like the Ic's anyway, they are very detailed and revealing. Just select phono and turn your input trim up to +8 and you should not have to turn your volume control up as much.
I know, I just read the manual.
emotion-15.gif

But thanks anyway.
emotion-1.gif

Now I'm tucking into the Dyson's instruction book - ooo, I never realised it could do so many extra things, it also seems that it's not necessary to push it around while it's bolt upright...
emotion-4.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

hahaha classic Bretty, when ive had a few a can barely read what people are saying nevermind reply.

Merry Christmas mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts