Atmos speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

The_Lhc said:
The only other point is that those speakers are angled, so mounting them on the ceiling would mean they weren't firing straight downwards like they're supposed to. Whether that would make much difference is anybody's guess.

This page includes a link to Atmos setup and it has a very interesting point:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

That point is this:
"Mounting considerationsIf the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. Forspeakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elementsshould be angled toward the primary listening position. " It would seem that the Atmos speaker can *get away* with pointing straight down if it has a wide dispertion, but is actually intended to point down and towards the listener. This is also how they are setup in cinemas. If you look at pictures of many cinema setups they have an odd shaped speaker that has drivers pointing down and towatds the back a bit.

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
You could make an MDF box to house in-ceiling speakers. So essentially, they become on ceiling.

yes maybe. I imagine there will be on ceiling speakers at some point soon anyway.

i think it'll make sense for the speaker manufacturers, because if a customer installs in-ceilings then itll be harder to upgrade them in the future as the replacement speaker will have to at least fill the huge hole they've cut in their ceiling.

to go down a size you'd have to have the gap filled and have it re-artexed. Who can be bothered.

That could effect sales of the other speakers as a lot of people would like a matching package.

F

FunkyMonkey

The_Lhc said:
FunkyMonkey said:
Bipolar speakers or stupid idea?

It's "bipole" speakers, bipolar is something else but no, atmos speakers should be "normal" speakers, not bipole.

Haha, thanks for advice, but pedantry only works if you are correct,I.e. Bipolar is a commonly used name as opposed to bipole.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
The_Lhc said:
FunkyMonkey said:
Bipolar speakers or stupid idea?

It's "bipole" speakers, bipolar is something else but no, atmos speakers should be "normal" speakers, not bipole.

Haha, thanks for advice, but pedantry only works if you are correct,I.e. Bipolar is a commonly used name as opposed to bipole. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

I've been in the hi-fi realm for a long time and I've NEVER heard them referred to as "bipolar", only ever bipole. Regarding that link (and one link really isn't enough to prove your point btw), I've also never heard anyone refer to "dipolar" speakers either, only "dipole", further more if those two are correct why doesn't the author refer to "monopolar" instead of "monopole" as that would be equally "correct", so your example is inconsistent at best.

Either way they're not recommended for Atmos speakers.

F

FunkyMonkey

It doesn't really matter does it? But Google bipolar speakers which is what I did and even manufacturers use that description.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Tha majority search results come up as bipolar in Google, but the odd one does show as bipole, not sure which 1 is correct, but bipolar is the terminology I've always used...

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
simonlewis said:
This came up for me ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?espv=2&gs_ivs=1&q=bipolar
Zigackly! Bipole=speakers, bipolar=manic depression.

i would suggest you look this adjective up in a dictionary and you will see you can use this word for speakers/electronic devices and the terrible condition that some unfortunate people suffer with.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
The_Lhc said:
simonlewis said:
This came up for me ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?espv=2&gs_ivs=1&q=bipolar
Zigackly! Bipole=speakers, bipolar=manic depression.

i would suggest you look this adjective up in a dictionary and you will see you can use this word for speakers/electronic devices and the terrible condition that some unfortunate people suffer with.

Guh, really? The point, if you'd just care to think about it for two seconds is that it's FAR more common for bipolar to refer to the medical condition, so for the avoidance of ambiguity, the speakers should be referred to as bipole, which, as I've mentioned before, is the far more common term for these kind of speakers, as I've already said, I've only ever seen them referred to as bipole, so using bipolar, whilst technically correct, is not a common usage.

F

FunkyMonkey

Both are correct.
Google "bipole speakers" gives 62,000 results.
Google "bipolar speakers" gives 1.42million.
Unless oratory with manic depression is a very common occupation, I would suggest that bipolar is a more common way to refer to these speakers but both ways are acceptable.
What is just as certain is that they are not to be used as ceiling speakers.

Sliced Bread

Aaaany way, back to these speakers.

Word on the street is that DTS-X will be speaker placement agnostic (please let us not start a discussion on that word ;) ). This will be good news for those with existing Atmos setups.

Fingers crossed that this is accurate.

F

FunkyMonkey

Please elaborate. Agnostic? Which channels? What does this actually mean? You have to have some sort of logical spread of the channels.

Sliced Bread

I thought we weren’t going to discuss the word J

This is just what I’ve heard and I wish I knew more. Maybe there are several speaker layout options, or maybe if you have several microphones during setup the software could determine the direction of the speakers. The objects contain XYZ co-ordinates after all.

This is just pure speculation & rumors though.

I imagine that if DTS does have a fixed speaker placement, then AV receivers will introduce processing so you could make the best of format X, even if you have a speakers positioned for format Y.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts