Atmos configuration 7.1.2 v 5.1.4

Your choice, my preference would be 5.1.4 based on my experience of my previous 5.1 and current 7.1.4 system. I would suggest you put the cables in for a 7.1.4.

This thread will help you:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/dolby-atmos-dilemma-712-or-514

Walter Sobchak said:
Thanks, just read on the other famous forum the reviewer prefers 7.1.2

Hmmm struggling to decide because the Marantz 6010 could be a nice cheape upgrade.

If you wait until January / February you'll get the 7010 for the current price of 6010.

Different reviewers have different opinions. Check this review for example where the reviewer says this (I agree with him):

"We found that we preferred using the 5.1.4 configuration, as opposed to the 7.1.2 because the sense of immersion was greater and we didn't miss the two rear speakers."

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr7009-av-dolby-atmos-receiver-review.10854

bigboss said:
Walter Sobchak said:
Thanks, just read on the other famous forum the reviewer prefers 7.1.2

Hmmm struggling to decide because the Marantz 6010 could be a nice cheape upgrade.

If you wait until January / February you'll get the 7010 for the current price of 6010.

Different reviewers have different opinions. Check this review for example where the reviewer says this (I agree with him):

"We found that we preferred using the 5.1.4 configuration, as opposed to the 7.1.2 because the sense of immersion was greater and we didn't miss the two rear speakers."

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr7009-av-dolby-atmos-receiver-r...

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If i had the room size i would be going for a 5.2.4 (My amp will do this) BUT was advised by Sevenoaks as my room is similar in size to yours just to have a 5.1.2 Atmos system. This due to the small size of the room would very likely give the Atmos speakers i chose spurrious noise effects & may knock each other out. I have not tried it though to prove them wrong either, i assumed as they were/are professional installers informing me of this they knew what they were talking about. This may not be the same for in ceiling speakers. Hope this helps .. regards

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This is a content thing sometimse one sometimes the other depends on how it starts

Lots of new films been coming out in 7.1 so obvious what one is better with them and vise versa with atmos discs.

5.1 ends up bottom of the list I bet certain 5.1/2 systems will actually be as good or better than the majority of7.1.Whatever systems in the overall sound they produce so it's a bit of a futile / unfair exercise to label such systems in that chart.
But I get where your coming from

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
abacus said:
As it is a rectangular room, in order best to minimum

Hope this helps

Bill
You can slot 5.1.4 in between 7.1.2 and 5.1.2 - in fact, I think I'd prefer that to 7.1.2.

I started out with a 5.1.2 setup and am going to end up with a 7.2.SIX setup. Mostly because if I take the speakers out of the ceiling and move them I'll have to pay a plasterer to fix the holes left behind. The speakers I'm using (Yamaha NS-IC800) in the ceiling are only US$125 a pair, after all, and so it's cheaper to add an extra pair than pay a plasterer. Still, at least I'm kind of "future proofed" and 'er indoors won't know the middle celing ones aren't working...... I hope.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly why i can only have 5.1.2 because mine are not in ceiling speakers unlike BB's & the shape of my room does not help
sad_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts