ATC SCM7

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
hi just wondering why there are no reviews of ATC speakers on the site? I am looking to purchase a pair of SCM 7s to partner a NaimUniti. Has anyone tried this combo? thanks in advance

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Only heard the SCM7 with the Nait 5i and Nait XS with regard to Naim amps, not my cup of tea (generally Naim) but the SCM7's are very very good IMO and IME :dance:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Can you stretch the budget to a pair of PMC DB1s? If so, they are well worth trying with the NaimUniti.

If not, a pair of Rega RS1s are good partners.

I have read a lot of good things about Neat Iotas with the NaimUniti as well. (Although, unlike the two suggestions above, I have not listened to the Iotas myself.)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Can you stretch the budget to a pair of PMC DB1s? If so, they are well worth trying with the NaimUniti.

I have read a lot of good things about Neat Iotas with the NaimUniti as well. (Although, unlike the two suggestions above, I have not listened to the Iotas myself.)

Given that the OP specifically asked if people had heard the naim ATC combo, before you start suggesting (more expensive, different sounding) speakers, have you heard that combo?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
WHF have done reviews of the SCM11, 19 and 40 IIRC but none of the SCM7.

Some other reviews (best to hear a pair though with your Uniti)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0307/nearfield15.htm

There was an HFN review a good while back, and one of the older model around if you search the web.

EDIT, found it, can I post a link to the PDF? :type:

Well, here it is anyway....

http://www.studio-hifi.com/images/SCM7HFN607.pdf

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the feedback folks. I am getting a demo next week of the SCM 7s next week with a Uniti before i purchase. Ideally i would like to go for the PMC DB1Is but its impossible to find anyone who supplies them over here (Dublin) and they are a little out of my price range at this point. In fact we are cruelly underserved by high end hi fi retailers but i presume the market is not that big in Ireland.

Thanks again.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
chebby said:

Given that the OP specifically asked if people had heard the naim ATC combo, before you start suggesting (more expensive, different sounding) speakers, have you heard that combo?

Whats wrong with offering opinions on other makes.....i dont' understand the problem with that?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
BenLaw said:
chebby said:

Whats wrong with offering opinions on other makes.....i dont' understand the problem with that?

In general, nothing, but the OP asked a specific question about ATC and Naim, while chebby's response ignored this entirely. If it had compared qualities or said what extra Chebby felt the alternatives brought over the 7s it would have made sense; as it was I felt it was entirely incongruous. In failing to mention any impressions on sound signature I also felt it was unhelpful to the OP: everyone could just list 3 speakers on every thread asking about speakers; this would help no-one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Its just Ben being a little confrontational again :)

pete.g said:
hi just wondering why there are no reviews of ATC speakers on the site? I am looking to purchase a pair of SCM 7s to partner a NaimUniti. Has anyone tried this combo? thanks in advance

As long as you're not trying to fill the Albert Hall, or holding any raves, you should be ok. Personally, I'd recommend something with a little more power, but if you demo it and it does what you need it to, you should be fine :)

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Had a demo on Thursday and was suitably impressed. Considering my (quite) small listening room, and the fact they will be positioned very close to the wall, they are ideal for me in both sound and budget. Now don't laugh but I've been using Dali Lektor 2s with my Uniti from day one so the ATCs will be a big leap in quality. As soon as I stop upgrading (like that's ever gonna happen!) and move to a bigger house, these will be perfect for me.

Thanks again for the feedback.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts