atc scm 40 in ht and hifi set up

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I also posted same topic in the ht part.
I am currently building a new house and will integrate the ht and hifi set up in one room (55inch tv for everyday viewing and motorised drop down screen and projector for serious movies/sport watching)as we only watch one movie a week it seems a bit pointless to have a dedicated room for ht duties.
Music is pretty much my main priority as such i am looking for quality speakers that are easy to accommodate and place and i beleive that the atc range may be where i should be heading.
However, i am looking for a clean, clutter free room.I have been looking at inwall, on walls, dedicated ht speakers, and after browsing the net i noticed that many people use floorstanding speakers in specially built joinery with an accoustically transparent cloth to hide the speakers.I am wondering if i could do that with the atc scm40 too and enjoy the best of both world, or do they need heaps of room to breath.I am conscious that most free standing speakers require room, but m prepare to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for a clutter free room but not too much .If i am able to do that with the atc scm 40, can anybody advise me on what material i should be using for the cabinet, size of enclosure, worth putting insulating/absorbing materials inside....Any info will greatly appreciated.
Also, can anybody advise me on the strenght and weakness of the atc scm40.are theywarm speakers or tend to be bright...I love a large soundstage and litsen to most music genres except country and blues..
thanks alot in advance
john

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

The sealed cabinet of the SCM40's means they can be used in smaller rooms than many other similarly sized floorstanders, but I do find that even when speakers are designed to work well against a wall, they still sound better with a little room to breathe. They're a very neutral sound, which we find many people love or hate, so it's well worth popping along to a dealer to give them a spin, along with an alternative or two. One thing you would need to give serious thought about is the amplification you'll be using with them. They need an amplifier with plenty of current in order to hear them as they're intended - you can use lower powered amplifiers but they don't have the headroom that's needed for them to sound like a "£2k+" loudspeaker, although this applies to many other designs too.

I find they're quite fussy as to partnering amplification. Their own amplification tends to work best, for obvious reasons, and I've found other amplifiers give an 'average' sound. This is just because they're not up to the job of driving them properly. But drive them well and they'll give you one of the most neutral presentations this side of the £4k mark. If you like them, you'll love them, but do make sure you take care in partnering them with suitable amplification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts