At last I have some photos......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="HDNumpty"]So would I be right in saying then, you can't really have 2 amps (AV/Stereo) sharing the same set of speakers UNLESS your amp is very clever like the 840 and has assignable volume inputs??[/quote] No, you would be wrong with that assumption my friend. Any AV receiver with front left and right pre outs, SHOULD be able to connect to any stereo amplifier via a stereo interconnect. The fixed input is just handy as if you say calibrated your 5.1 with your stereo amp set at 12 o'clock, you would have to remember to keep it at that level when watching movies. The problem I had with my Creek Evo is that the pre and power parts of the integrated amp could not be used seperately. In essence, the my 840 is the pre and my receiver the power for my front two when using my 5.1. I hope that makes sense and even more importantly, I understand it correctly myself!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]It sounds the same. It just means that you can use your stereo speakers for home
cinema also [/quote]

Sorry I mean't from a stereo point of view. It looks like you play CD's via the Stereo amp, and for movies incorperate the Sony.
Do you find it better for music using the seperate amp? Using the fronts for both HI FI and AV.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Del Smith"][quote user="Gerrardasnails"]It sounds the same. It just means that you can use your stereo speakers for home
cinema also [/quote]

Sorry I mean't from a stereo point of view. It looks like you play CD's via the Stereo amp, and for movies incorperate the Sony.
Do you find it better for music using the seperate amp? Using the fronts for both HI FI and AV.[/quote] The sound from the stereo amp is far better than through the receiver. Yes cdp and stereo amp, dvdp and receiver. Sky HD for radio through the stereo amp. SACD and dvd audio through the receiver.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Gerard

Since asking you about the 840a I managed to acquire one from RS for £500 due to their 'VIP' e-mail list (get on it, great bargains!). Thanks again for the recommendation, very happy with it and plan to link everything together in the same way you have which means I too can get FM radio from the receiver and DAB from my TV or PVR.

I was wondering where you got that nice rack from, and what's it made of? (apart from 'wood' obviously

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty:Hi again Gerard

Since asking you about the 840a I managed to acquire one from RS for £500 due to their 'VIP' e-mail list (get on it, great bargains!). Thanks again for the recommendation, very happy with it and plan to link everything together in the same way you have which means I too can get FM radio from the receiver and DAB from my TV or PVR.

I was wondering where you got that nice rack from, and what's it made of? (apart from 'wood' obviously

Glad you are happy - that's a great price - mine was £480 delivered from a very nice ebay seller - it still had the plastic covers on over the display screen and was virtually brand new.

My rack was made by www.hifiracks.co.uk - you give them the dimensions you need and the wood of your choice and they do the rest! Mine is solid walnut.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Course, what do you get a man (as a prize) who has everything.........

Where do I start! No, seriously, John, who would be paying for this "prize"? If it's you, I feel that it's a little unfair as you have done this off your own back. If it's WHFSAV magazine, I've been looking at an Arcam FMJ DV139 lately!!

John Duncan

No no, this is me, so it will be...um....modest. But a small price to pay for the entertainment value..........

Though obviously if WHF want to chip in.........
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No no, this is me, so it will be...um....modest. But a small price to pay for the entertainment value..........

Though obviously if WHF want to chip in.........
emotion-5.gif

I don't think Andrew reads the football threads!

A

Anonymous

Is the cambridge amp connected to the pre outs on your av amp or do you just swap the cables round for stereo? dying to know because ive been considering trying this myself, as my pioneer av amp is rubbish in stereo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Lewis P:Is the cambridge amp connected to the pre outs on your av amp or do you just swap the cables round for stereo? dying to know because ive been considering trying this myself, as my pioneer av amp is rubbish in stereo.

It is indeed. The 840a offers fixed inputs so I have one of them which I've named "Sony AV" and it is set at around 1 o'clock on the volume dial. It cannot be turned up or down so that once I have calibrated the speakers, it all works great.

A

Anonymous

Very nice setup!

I have a question: The CA 840A, is it V1 or V2?

Cheers :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts