Astonishing vfm

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Anyone that has read J.Westlake's interview in a leading mag this month will appreciate the cost difference of manufacturing in China compared to the UK. It can be as much as 4 digit percentages.

More so astonishing that Rega can produce something like the new Brio-R for 600 quid. Designed and Hand assembled here using precision casings made in Switzerland. Even the volume knobs are machined in house apparently. Parts quality is high throughout.

It's a brave company that chooses to produce in the UK/EU these days.

Less and less of that around these days. Note, I didn't say finished quality is necessarily higher than China made stuff but you do genuinely seem to get something special ... akin to a pair of handmade shoes compared to some of the high street.

There you go, a bit of free flag waving for Rega ... and I think they deserve it.

insider9

I didn't realise Rega doesn't go to China for manufacturing. Very commendable indeed. It needs to be supported as

Oh and I'm sure you know this but reading your OP can be misconstrued as if Switzerland is in the EU (or UK for that matter) :)

Well done, Rega!

insider9 said:
I didn't realise Rega doesn't go to China for manufacturing. Very commendable indeed. It needs to be supported as

Oh and I'm sure you know this but reading your OP can be misconstrued as if Switzerland is in the EU (or UK for that matter) :)

Well done, Rega!

Hear, hear! I assumed EU to be Europe and not European Union, so no problems there ;-)

However I am npot sure this applies to all of their products, if it does I am gobsmacked.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I suspect they all go to China or Far East for circuit manufacturing because past the actual design stage of the circuit and amp etc, it’s possible to get a certain standard in circuit boards nowadays, with components stuck on the boards from all different countries, and where wages are cheaper in this emerging Chinese economy.

But Rega assemble in their factory in Essex, and if Swiss suppliers make casings in the supply chain, it’s only one part of the whole. Just like I know cyrus have their cases made by a Swedish firm, but the circuit boards are made in China.

But at least as far as design goes, the British do this very well in the hi Fi industry. Probably amongst the best countries in the world.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I suspect they all go to China or Far East for circuit manufacturing because past the actual design stage of the circuit and amp etc, it’s possible to get a certain standard in circuit boards nowadays, with components stuck on the boards from all different countries, and where wages are cheaper in this emerging Chinese economy.

But Rega assemble in their factory in Essex, and if Swiss suppliers make casings in the supply chain, it’s only one part of the whole. Just like I know cyrus have their cases made by a Swedish firm.

Nothing new here in terms of how manufactureres source the best vfm parts. In the early 1990's I worked for a manufacturer that made the 'Great British Battery' - well that was their marketing slogan. In fact the plastic cases (these were car & commercial batteries) were from Italy, and all the machinery was from the USA. The lead and acid was from UK suppliers, as well as a lot of electricity and the blokes in the factory that had to have blood tests periodically to test the level of lead in their blood.

jonathanRD said:

But Rega assemble in their factory in Essex, and if Swiss suppliers make casings in the supply chain, it’s only one part of the whole. Just like I know cyrus have their cases made by a Swedish firm.

Nothing new here in terms of how manufactureres source the best vfm parts. In the early 1990's I worked for a manufacturer that made the 'Great British Battery' - well that was their marketing slogan. In fact the plastic cases (these were car & commercial batteries) were from Italy, and all the machinery was from the USA. The lead and acid was from UK suppliers, as well as a lot of electricity and the blokes in the factory that had to have blood tests periodically to test the level of lead in their blood.

Trust us to provide the poisonous part... ;-)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:

Good job they didn't test for anything else, many of the boys were from Pontypool! *smile*

jonathanRD said:
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:

Good job they didn't test for anything else, many of the boys were from Pontypool! *smile*

On this I cannot comment..... not until I've seen my brief. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS